Missing Microbiology

Mosaics

Hi, everybody. 

I have generalist medical laboratory scientist training, but for over 2 years I have been specializing in Blood Bank.  Although I like Blood Bank, I have often have an "itch" to switch over to Microbiology.  Can you offer tips to "wow" a prospective interviewer so I can specialize in something new?  My previous experience in Microbiology was as a student 4 years ago.  Thanks!

Edited by Mosaics

• 2 weeks later...

Blood Bank procedures still have a lot of manual testing, much like Micro.  The Gram stain is the most basic but most

important test in Micro just like ABO/RH typing is for Blood Bank.  Complex antibody identifications in Blood Bank require focus and skillful hands on testing and interpretations just like reading culture plate colonies in Micro and antibiotic

susceptibilities in Micro.   You communicate with Physicians and Nurses regarding specimen requirements and help

with interpretation of clinical significance of antibodies in Blood Bank and with antibiotics in Micro.

As long as you have good communication skills and work ethic and are proficient in Blood Bank you should be a

fast learner in Micro................and visa-versa........

hope that helps a little.......

Here it takes at least a year for a newbee in Micro to get everything under control as far as all of the stuff that needs to be learned.  Micro here, and at many larger hospitals I believe,  includes not only a microscan and blood culture monitoring unit, but an immunoassay analyzer also.

I would emphasize that you have had no trouble learning new tasks and that you always liked Micro in school.  (That's all true, right?)  It may not hurt to visit a Micro Lab somewhere near you and have them explain what they are doing.  That way you will not sound totally clueless during an interview.

Scott