SBB Exam

Joyous7

when I took the test - 30 yrs ago (wow) - I studied from the Technical Manual, Mollison, Harmening and Race/Sanger.  I also had flash cards of all the blood groups with frequencies, etc.  New York Blood Center put on a program for all of us who were challenging the exam that year.  Also did some study with a friend of mine who went to SBB school and was taking the test the same year I was.  I was also lucky enough to be the last group that had a practical portion of the test - they sent unknowns if you passed the written portion.

Transfusion Medicine question of the day is excellent.  some of it is more for residents but you definitely will learn something - good call Terri.

Edited by David Saikin

Mine was back in the easy days, which I think are similar to now.

My plan was pretty simple:

• Memorized Standards
  • Memorized blood related CFRs
  • Read the Technical manual twice (once was the two days prior to the test)
  • Read Transfusion cover to cover for about 1 year
  • Read Harmening's hematology book, not her blood bank book
  • Started to read Isset, but my brain almost exploded

Took the test on a computer, this was pretty new back then.  Only a 100 questions down from the 200+ questions on the paper test, and clearly the wet work was long retired.  From what I was told by the "old timers", the paper test was pretty hard.

I heard a typical question went something like

Question
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Choices
1.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
2.  blah blah blah blah
3.  blah blah blah blah blah blah
4.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
5.  blah blah
6.  blah blah blah blah
7.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Answer - select one
a. 1, 2, 4
b. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7
c. 1, 3, 6
d. 4, 7
e. 3, 5, 6

From what I heard there were a lot of multiple multiple choice questions and the possible answers were always a - e.  My test only had a - d, so it was a 25% chance of guessing the right answer.