Storage of non-blood products in BB fridge

J Nicole

• 3 weeks later...

That's what I was getting at.....but then, I got curious, and looked it up to see if it was actually true about water draining one way or the other. It turns out that in a perfect, static state of affairs, Coriolus forces can indeed cause the hemispheric effect, BUT in the real world those forces are vastly weaker than other influences at play and are overcome by variations in the shape and structure of drains and tubs, motion of the water in a basin caused by use or a slightly off center (which they all are) faucet filling it up, and so on. Hence it joins a long list of charming but untrue urban legends. There's an equatorial nation where, for a modest fee, you can see a toilet on the north side of the line flush in one direction and one on the south side flush the other. They're rigged.

On March 11, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

That's what I was getting at.....but then, I got curious, and looked it up to see if it was actually true about water draining one way or the other. It turns out that in a perfect, static state of affairs, Coriolus forces can indeed cause the hemispheric effect, BUT in the real world those forces are vastly weaker than other influences at play and are overcome by variations in the shape and structure of drains and tubs, motion of the water in a basin caused by use or a slightly off center (which they all are) faucet filling it up, and so on. Hence it joins a long list of charming but untrue urban legends. There's an equatorial nation where, for a modest fee, you can see a toilet on the north side of the line flush in one direction and one on the south side flush the other. They're rigged.

Dr. Pepper, it's no wonder you're a blood banker!  Search for the answer and never give up until you've found it.  Bravo!