HLA ANTIBODIES

mollyredone

I agree almost entirely with what you say StevenB - you may be surprised to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is that my laboratory (or what used to be my laboratory - I've changed jobs, and am now in a sort of national position, doing the theoretical training [as opposed to the practical training]) IS a Reference Laboratory, and so all of the people who work in it are trained to the nth degree, before they are "let loose" on live patient's sample, and all are trained in this technique and use it virtually everyday (therefore, keeping up competency).

I, myself, was trained by a combination of Dr. Kenneth Goldsmith, Dr. Carolyn Giles and Joyce Poole, when I was working at the International Blood Group Reference Laboratory, with help from Dr. Patricia Tippett, Dr. Robert Race, Dr. Ruth Sanger and Dr. Geoff Daniels - amongst others!  I had a good grounding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi StevenB.  Thanks for your input.  The last time I prewarmed anything was about nine years ago.  Prewarm techniques are not performed as much anymore in the hospital setting.  However, every TS I have been a part of still has an SOP for it.  In the past 10 years I have not had a whole lot of solid Blood Bankers (very slim pickings).  New techs are afraid, older techs do not want to change with evidence-based anything.

Yes. I agree on being strict.  My techs will probably tell you that I am strict (very, very strict) in how we practices.  Also, I have never heard my reference family (ARC) ever mention the words "prewarm" verbally nor in writing.  I am just glad that they  provide additional guidance, especially when I am not present.  On your recommendations, I will continue "strictness"

Kind regards,

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, StevenB said:

Definitely no reason to apologize, Dr. Pepper.  Anytime I hear or read about using the prewarm technique I tend to go on full alert....can't help it.  It's the reference tech in me, lol.  We see all too often the technique being used for the wrong reasons, so I have this almost "knee jerk" reaction to the topic.  Baritone/Bass here...as I've gotten older my "ear" is not what it used to be....maybe the back of the choir is a good spot for me too!

I'm the same way; when I hear a BB tech say that they want to "prewarm something away" when they don't know the dangers makes me a little crazy.

My other pet peeve is the term "least incompatible"...but that's another rant.  :)