Irradiating blood products for mod size hospital

ChrisH

Currently our cancer center uses their linear accelerators to irradiate our products, but they want us to investigate another methods.  In the last 2 years we have irradiated less than 340 products per year.  So I think getting an irradiator would be to cost prohibitive.  But I still need to know what is out there.  I have seen Nordion mentioned, but when I go to their site I can not find a blood irradiator. 

Edited by ChrisH

18 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Currently our cancer center uses their linear accelerators to irradiate our products, but they want us to investigate another methods.  In the last 2 years we have irradiated less than 340 products per year.  So I think getting an irradiator would be to cost prohibitive.  But I still need to know what is out there.  I have seen Nordion mentioned, but when I go to their site I can not find a blood irradiator. 

Chris, I am not understanding why you are not ordering Irradiated products, upon need, from your blood product supplier?

Edited by rravkin@aol.com

We are our own blood suppliers and we too cooperate with our hospital's irradiation center to irradiate blood products. If they weren't able to accomodate our demand we might switch to pathogen inactivation, such as Intercept, for the platelets and hope the irradiation center are willing to handle the smaller amount of RBC's.

11 hours ago, Emelie said:

We are our own blood suppliers and we too cooperate with our hospital's irradiation center to irradiate blood products. If they weren't able to accomodate our demand we might switch to pathogen inactivation, such as Intercept, for the platelets and hope the irradiation center are willing to handle the smaller amount of RBC's.

I am missing something. What does pathogen inactivation have to do with irradiation? As a substitute?

If you really need to irradiate in house, you might look at an x-ray based instrument. I think Radsure makes one and they no longer require a water source.  You really don't want to get into what it takes today to bring in a gammacell irradiator.  Special room requirements, eye recognition to get in the room, cameras everywhere and regulation and inspection by the NRC.

Tricore; yes, in Sweden many larger hospitals use PI instead of irradiation when preparing platelets, the methods are equivalent. In moderately sized hospitals it's more convenient and cost efficient to irradiate the (rather few) components needed at the irradiation center instead.

17 hours ago, tricore said:

I am missing something. What does pathogen inactivation have to do with irradiation? As a substitute?

Tricore, pathogen inactivation alters the DNA of pathogens AND lymphocytes, which greatly decreases the probability of Graft v Host.  It has become an acceptable alternative to irradiated platelets.