Blood bank Samples

amym1586

Because of the nature of our work, we usually ask for 2 x 7.5mL tubes (which we occasionally receive, if we are lucky!).

We make our own suspensions (as does our grouping automation) from packed cells.

The automation does the grouping on a sample with the plasma still in situ, but once we have a group, we remove the plasma.

We are currently taking whole blood out to make our cell suspension (still doing manual forwards and reverse in tubes)

Then spinning down the sample.

I want to get them out of that habit and using the packed cells to make our suspensions and hopefully get them to use gel for the forwards and reverses.

But we have skinny tubes and big fat pipettes making it impossible to get packed cells without spilling plasma. And I don't know how it'll go if I want special smaller pipettes for bloodbank. Maybe I can order bigger pink tops    :unsure:

We have skinny tubes too. It just takes practice. Drop your plasma for screen and reverse, and crossmatches if you want. Squeeze the pipette and insert into the tube while releasing the bulb so you pull up enough plasma to not spill any. Go nab some of the packed cells, pull the pipette out and squeeze out the cells, but not the plasma. Put the plasma back in the tube immediately and you're good to go!

6 mL

Mostly packed cells but not rigid about that ... though we always use whole blood for fetal bleed screens

Same tube during storage

Cardinal Health has some nice pipettes (CH5214-18) specifically for Blood Bank that are graduated 0.5 mL to 2.0 mL with smaller tips and consistent drop size. Our entire lab uses them for all types of tubes and secondary sample containers for instruments. Teristella's sampling technique works great.

Edited by AMcCord
Additional information

• 3 weeks later...