Cesium vs. Cobalt vs. X-ray

DPruden

Our current cesium source irradiator is nearing its end of life.  In looking around, I have seen the standard Cesium137 irradiators and I know that would be fine and it would work for 25 years or more, but I was wondering if anyone had experiences with a Cobalt60 irradiator?  I would assume that all of the ridiculous homeland security rules would still be in place because of the radioactive source, but they appear to be 10 times faster than cesium.

And then there is X-ray technology, about which I have heard bad things over the years.  I would appreciate any input on the topic: good, bad, or indifferent.

it sounds like you have a pretty good feel for the risks and benefits of each method.  Our x-Ray cycle time is about 6 minutes, and do not require all of the security measures associated with cesium and cobalt.  I'm going to knock very hard on the nearest piece of wood and whisper very quietly that is has been a while since we have had any equipment failures that have resulted in instrument downtime.  I have 2 devices, which I think helps reduce some of the wear and tear on each machine.

Just a side note, Cliff has recommended using discretion when discussing blood product irradiation on these forums, as they may be observed and monitored for potential security risks...

6 hours ago, heathervaught said:

Just a side note, Cliff has recommended using discretion when discussing blood product irradiation on these forums, as they may be observed and monitored for potential security risks...

:)  Thank you

We have two cesium and they get a lot of use.  We transfuse about 10k platelets and35k red cells, all irradiated.  Heather, you said you have two x-ray devices, what type of volume do you do?

Years  (decades) ago we looked at the cobalt irradiators and found that we would have problems having them both delivered and transported from the loading dock to the BB.  As I recall this had to do with the unions involved - don't know if that exists in this day and age.

9 hours ago, Cliff said:

:)  Thank you

We have two cesium and they get a lot of use.  We transfuse about 10k platelets and35k red cells, all irradiated.  Heather, you said you have two x-ray devices, what type of volume do you do?

We do about 5000-6000 components per year between red cells and platelets.