Child bearing potential

labguru

Can someone help me out with the term "child bearing potential"?  I am revising a "Emergency Release of Blood Product" procedure and it states that a Female of child bearing age should get O negative blood. Of course this is a patient with unknown ABORH and in an immediate need of transfusion.  My thought is any female under 50 years old should fall under this category.  Do you have a policy that states a specific age "range" for these females? Is there going to be a difference in a 6 year old and a 12 year old in terms of creating an anti-D?  I guess I'm getting hung up on the term "child bearing potential" and I don't want to think of a child as having child bearing potential- but I guess they have the potential until they hit menopause. Or do I have this wrong?

You have it exactly correct as far as "child-bearing potential" is concerned labguru.  It used to be that it was written as a "female of child-bearing age", but there were occasions when D Positive blood was given to a D Negative female child, because they were not of child-bearing age, with the result that they were sensitised to the D antigen, causing all sorts of problems when they did become pregnant (the crass idiots that transfused this blood gave the "excuse" that the female child was not of "child-bearing age").  As a result, the phrase was changed to "child-bearing potential" to include all females from 0 to 50 years of age (at least, it is 50 years of age in the UK, and this upper age limit is evidence-based, although, of course, you will always get the exceptions).  50 may not be the age at which all females have reached the menopause, but UK statistics show that the likelihood of a D Negative female without anti-D, is given D Positive blood, and then makes anti-D, and then goes on to become pregnant with a D Positive foetus is disappearingly small.

Our protocol says that males under 18 and females under 50 will receive Rh neg blood whenever possible. If we were running out of Rh negative blood, I sure that we would consider switching the young males to Rh pos to save the Rh neg for the younger female patients. We discussed 55 vs 50 for females but the board certified trauma physician who is head of our emergency services department said that age 50 was what was recommended in trauma related literature. When and if age 55 predominates in the literature, I'm sure that he would reconsider. (Lab had been using < 19 years for males and 55 or < years for females.)

Malcolm, that is indeed remarkable, if not more than a little masochistic. A few years ago I read about a case where a woman went in for a routine C section and to their great surprise, the baby was not in the uterus. It apparently had been an ectopic pregnancy and the placenta attached to the small intestine. The baby spent nine happy months in the peritoneum with no complications. It was observed that, since a womb was apparently not a necessity, with the proper hormones a man could indeed carry a baby himself (although a natural delivery might prove difficult).

That being said, I'm still with Anna on this one.