Applied Blood Group Serology, 4th edition,by Issitt and Anstee

Bb_in_the_rain

I believe this book is no longer available anywhere for purchase. Any chance that the book can be requested for reprint from the publisher? I believe there were several reprints on 3rd edition but not the latest edition (4th edition). Is this publisher (Montgomery Scientific Publication) still in business? Anybody know? 

I think I am correct in saying that Peter Issitt set up Montgomery Scientific Publication specifically to print the 4th edition (I'm not certain, mind you).

I am not at work until 04/01/16 (UK date format!), but after that I can get in touch with Dave Anstee and find out.

You may be able to get a copy via Amazon, or somewhere like that (but what state it would be in - slightly foxed as a minimum, I would say - I hesitate to think!).

I believe that Malcolm is correct in stating that the publishing company was set up by Peter Issitt specifically to publish the 4th edition. That said, try saving a search on ebay as well as Amazon. You might strike gold eventually. Your best hope could be some of the book sellers who specialize in 'rare' titles, specifically in the science realm. I've seen names of those but right off the top of my head I can't remember any. Powell's in Portland OR might maybe if you're very lucky come up with one - you could ask them to watch for one for you (and it would probably be a looong shot if it would show up for them). They have a stunning number of used books in every category imaginable. The only time I've seen one on a search on Amazon its asking price was sky high. Maybe we should beg AABB Press to consider updating and republishing it. The price tag would be astonishing, but it is an awesome book.

When I retire (sometime in the next 7-10 years) maybe I should put my 4th edition up for sale to the highest bidder. I might be able to finance a great trip with the money. :plotting:

• 2 weeks later...

I have followed this forum as a "guest" for about 4 years.  Never checked the education/quality forum.  I am retiring after 44 years in blood banking.  I have a 4th edition of the Peter Issitt Applied Blood Group Serology book that I will no longer need. Since I am brand new to this forum, I am not sure how any interested parties would contact me other than a post in the forum.  I am actually heading to my job right now, so I won't be available to respond until Saturday, 16 January 2016. Would love for this book, to continue to be used in the blood bank setting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I was down to Supply this past weekend and saw the "old guys". They're doing well. I never thought to ask Peter about the 4th edition or if he'd consider a reprint. Linda is doing some great catering and Peter golfs whenever...  I can certainly call and find out if there's a chance of resurrecting Montgomery Scientific for one last round. There isn't another reference book with as thorough a grounding in serology. Will let you know what he says :) 

36 minutes ago, Pony said:

Hi guys,

I was down to Supply this past weekend and saw the "old guys". They're doing well. I never thought to ask Peter about the 4th edition or if he'd consider a reprint. Linda is doing some great catering and Peter golfs whenever...  I can certainly call and find out if there's a chance of resurrecting Montgomery Scientific for one last round. There isn't another reference book with as thorough a grounding in serology. Will let you know what he says :) 

Brilliant Pony, but I fear I know what his answer will be!

Well, I tried. As you anticipated Malcolm, Peter doesn't think there is a big enough market for the book to make another printing worthwhile. He was also rather surprised that folks would want it considering how out of date the molecular info is. We have come so far so fast in that area since the book came out. He mentioned that Geoff Daniel's book is more recent and still available. In my opinion Geoff's book is much dryer in tone (still excellent in content) and I'm not sure how well many of the generalists would do with it. Peter's was written with a lighter tone and is much easier to digest.

I also asked about finding group(s) willing to contribute to sponsor a printing such as AABB or one of our reagent suppliers. Peter thought that was highly unlikely. Do we have any idea how many copies we could guarantee? I think the whole idea will hang on making it financially feasible.

Anyone got any ideas??

Hi Pony,

I have to agree with Peter that the world of "molecules" has moved on immensely since the publication of the "big blue book".

I also have to agree with you that Geoff's writing style (much as I admire him, and have the honour of counting him as a friend) is much drier than that of Peter's and Dave's (although, strangely, his lecturing style and delivery is, in my opinion, exquisite).  In fact, I would say that Dave's lighter style of writing (and that of Harvey Klein) shine through in the various editions of "Mollison" they have written together (albeit, I would not recommend that this is presented to a generalist or, come to that, most "pure" transfusionists to read cover-to-cover (I had to, as I was writing a review, but, at times, it was still damned hard going!).  Going back many, many years now, I can recall reading the 6th edition of Rob Race and Ruth Sanger's book, Blood Groups in Man, which, in places, was positively funny, and I am sure that this helped kindle the flame of love for blood transfusion, and, in particular, blood group serology in my mind (although working with the likes of Ken Goldsmith, Carolyn Giles, Elizabeth Ikin and a very young Joyce Poole, and working in a building across a small car park from where Rob and Ruth, Patricia Tippett, Walter Morgan, Winifred Watkins, a very young Geoff and Dame Professor Marcela Contreras, when she was a Senior Registrar and others, may also have helped someone, as did meeting the luminaries of the blood transfusion world who used to visit both laboratories - such as a certain Philip Levine)!  Anyway, sorry, I digress - but very happy days.

Living on the "wrong side of the pond" makes it very difficult for me to comment on either who might sponsor another print run, or how many people might purchase a copy (bearing in mind that it will be quite an expensive book, even with sponsorship).  Perhaps a poll on this site could give some indication of interest, certainly in the US, if not so much for the rest of the world?

With kindest regards,

Malcolm

Well, the Joyce Poole I'm talking about was, eventually, in charge of Red Cell Reference at the International Blood Group Reference Laboratory, but worked there from when it was in Gatliff Road in London, when it was in Oxford, when it was at NHSBT-Bristol Centre, Southmead Hospital and then NHSBT-Filton Centre.  She regularly gave lectures on university courses, but lectured at symposia and congresses all around the world.  She was the main or co-author on loads and loads of papers, and was/is world famous.  She is also a lovely person.

And retired or not, Joyce is still doing technical editing with me for the ARC Immunohematology journal. She's a riot - loves to pull my husband's chain every time I drag him to a meeting with me. Definitely on my list of top serologists I've worked with in any capacity.

Malcolm,

I agree with you about Geoff's speaking style - like our late George, he's so comfortable doing it and easy to listen to.  I was so glad he carried on with  the Race and Sanger book. I heard he had a very nice retirement party this past Feb? or Mar?   I met Ruth once through Margery Stroup. What a pair!! Living on this side of the pond, we didn't get many chances to actually meet the greats that stayed on your side. The British Invasion of the 70's gave us a huge boost and more opportunities to work up interesting cases.

A poll if large enough would give us some clout when trying to scout up sponsors. But I've no idea how to go about that. Maybe a sign-up sheet at the AABB in Orlando? It could be posted near the computer access area and folks could sign for themselves and friends who aren't attending this year. The original book sold for $350 USD I think. If we could keep it in that ballpark maybe more folks could manage? If we could just get an idea of the size of the market... We've got so many generalists that could really use the help but I'm not sure about how to reach them.

Any and all suggestions welcome!!!