Rh confirmation of Rh Negative Units

mld123

New Supervisor here and new to the site.  I took over a Blood Bank recently where the previous supervisor was there a long time.  They are performing Anti-D typing on their Rh Negative units by incubating the Anti-D tube at 37 C for 15 minutes and then spinning and reading.  I have never done this in the 25 years I have been working in the Blood Bank.  Do you see any reason to continue this practice? 

mld123 :)

The AABB standards specifically address this under 5.12 "Confirmatory testing for weak D is not required."

Really goodchild?  I think mld123 is talking about donor units, rather than recipients, and I would be simply amazed if this was not mandated.  In the UK, we almost go to the nth degree to make sure our D Negative donors really are D Negative.

Really goodchild?  I think mld123 is talking about donor units, rather than recipients, and I would be simply amazed if this was not mandated.  In the UK, we almost go to the nth degree to make sure our D Negative donors really are D Negative.

We're referring to the second serological type (or possibly the third, since my understanding is many blood suppliers do double checks already) but yes.

New Supervisor here and new to the site.  I took over a Blood Bank recently where the previous supervisor was there a long time.  They are performing Anti-D typing on their Rh Negative units by incubating the Anti-D tube at 37 C for 15 minutes and then spinning and reading.  I have never done this in the 25 years I have been working in the Blood Bank.  Do you see any reason to continue this practice? 

mld123 :)

What does the manufacturer's directions for the anti-D reagent in use say to do?

Thanks for the welcome and your responses.  

No washing or adding IgG in the procedure from the previous supervisor.  The whole thing just seems weird to me and I am going to change it back to Anti-D at immediate spin only.  

Thanks again!!

"Just incubating at 37 C and then spinning"

Many, many years ago we had some not very good anti-D reagent. Our theory was that all of the "good" anti-D was going for RHIG production.  It did not always react at immediate spin but if you incubated at 37C and then spun it, it worked. I hope the SOP isn't that old!

The negatives after 37C were always washed and tested with AHG.

Edited by tricore

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 1:12 PM, mld123 said:

Thanks for the welcome and your responses.  

No washing or adding IgG in the procedure from the previous supervisor.  The whole thing just seems weird to me and I am going to change it back to Anti-D at immediate spin only.  

Thanks again!!

Yup, Just go with whatever the package insert says. No weak D required.