Record Retention

JURBACH

We are trying to get our old Transfusion Services records in order, and shred what we no longer need to keep.  My question is:  Of the things that are to be kept indefinitely, are we able to scan them or do we need to keep the original handwritten documents?  I can't find anything specific on the AABB website.  Anyone have some insight??

Thanks!

I've started scanning our 'keep forever' stuff. I have a worksheet to document when scanned and who by, into which file it was scanned, how many pages in the document, when verified and who by. Once verified, the paper goes in the shredder.

We are CAP inspected so I contacted them in regards to whether each page must be verified after scanning or if a representative % could be verified. The answer was that it depends on the number of pages scanned at a time. I can load and scan about 50 pages at a time - CAP says I must verify each and every page. I would have to scan a lot more pages at a time before I could verify a %. The higher the number of pages scanned at once, the smaller the % you must verify. (I don't remember the numbers vs % verified because they don't apply to me.)

I would definitely recommend contacting AABB about how you need to verify the scanned documents and what documentation you need for that process.