Anyone using the Vision (new Ortho analyzer)?

LKSchroed

We are having the same problem with the QC on our new Vision.  We are still validating it.  Ortho IgG cards seem to be having a lot of problems lately so I thought maybe it was just that.  Now I am bummed.  They did let us upload the software upgrade so we can change the QC results but the photos show definite specks above the button.  I would rather that the tests looked truly negative.  We ran 10 negative patient samples today and 7 of them required review.  I sure hope it gets better somehow.  Manually fixing the results of 70% of the tests run on an automated instrument is just not acceptable.  It is also rather hard to validate it when it doesn't seem to be working right.

We went LIVE with a VISION on  Nov 14th.  We have similar QC problems at times.   Varies with lot of cards and/ or handling during delivery process.   Ortho is working on the cardboard dust problem with a possible packaging change. 

The noise can be annoying-- but as any laboratory noise, you assimilate and block it out.  

Instrument is faster than Provue- and uses significantly less reagent cells.   Update has been released and we look forward to being able to edit grading on QC when artifact is an issue.  We have been saving our partially used cards in anticipation of this update. 

Interfaced with Meditech 5.67- and it has been working well.   ( No middleware) .

On 12/9/2016 at 4:30 AM, goodchild said:

Mabel, would you be willing to post images of some of the problems you're encountering with specks above the button? I'm very curious. Is the analyzer reporting these as "?" or as negative?

I will have to learn if I can export the pictures from the Vision so I can post them.  If not, maybe I can take a photo of the Vision screen on my phone.  These specks are not usually visible with the naked eye when we take the card out but do show up in the magnified images shown on the Vision.  We also can see them if we use an ocular off the microscope to view the card after we take it off the Vision.  Unfortunately they give a ? on the results so require intervention.  That's better than turning out false negatives, but I would hope that automation won't require someone to override the results on 70% of the tests.  Frequent overrides can increase the risk of human error and make people complacent about weak results.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, Mabel Adams said:

I will have to learn if I can export the pictures from the Vision so I can post them.  If not, maybe I can take a photo of the Vision screen on my phone.  These specks are not usually visible with the naked eye when we take the card out but do show up in the magnified images shown on the Vision.  We also can see them if we use an ocular off the microscope to view the card after we take it off the Vision.  Unfortunately they give a ? on the results so require intervention.  That's better than turning out false negatives, but I would hope that automation won't require someone to override the results on 70% of the tests.  Frequent overrides can increase the risk of human error and make people complacent about weak results.

That's exactly why I was curious to see some screen captures. The image quality on the new analyzers (GD Erytra and Ortho VISION) is TOO good.

Once you complete the newest software release, you will be able to modify QC results.  This is very helpful since sometimes it is clearly a spec of dust/artifact that can be modified from a "?" to a negative result.  You can also load partially used cards now, but they will be kicked off of the analyzer if not used in 4 hours (at which time you can reload if you want).  There are still problems with the interpretations of the current lots of IgG cards and "?' results with specks on columns - see related post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We definitely see the specks as well. We got the 'upgrade' a few weeks ago.  It's great that we can now put half used IgG cards back on the instrument and we can change QC results, but we are having worse problems than ever with the instrument not knowing what to call things or calling them 1+ when they are really negative. We have verified the 1+ reactions as negative with manual gel testing.  :angered: 

Certain lots of IgG cards recently are giving false positives.  They are worse on the Vision than in manual testing because the camera is very sensitive.  Have Ortho replace those lots that are giving 1+ on the Vision.

We have been running cord blood.  Some wash it first but we haven't.  It is working well.  We are still doing DAT correlations between IgG tube and manual gel or the Vision so I don't have complete data yet.  The DATs are more sensitive than tube as I expected.  There is sometimes more variability than I expected; it's not just a standard 1 grade higher on all samples.

• 3 weeks later...