Anyone using the Vision (new Ortho analyzer)?

LKSchroed

It would be great if you could periodically post your progress and experiences as you go through this process, LKSchroed.  I am sure that many of us would be interested in how things with the Vision go for you.  (Thanks, in advance!)

Donna

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We currently have Immucor Neo and are getting proposals form both Immucor and Ortho for our contract renewal. We also are Cerner Millennium so I would be interested in how the Ortho interface process goes for the Vision.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything with the Vision installation is on schedule. 

We have a conference call scheduled with Ortho personnel to talk more about in-house training, validation schedule, and interfacing with Cerner.

But the Vision looks great sitting in the BB lab!

Will post progress and if any issues arise.

10 hours ago, LKSchroed said:

Everything with the Vision installation is on schedule. 

We have a conference call scheduled with Ortho personnel to talk more about in-house training, validation schedule, and interfacing with Cerner.

But the Vision looks great sitting in the BB lab!

Will post progress and if any issues arise.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

• 4 weeks later...

Ortho Vision has been installed.  We are training techs on use.  I am writing the validation process as fast as possible along with required procedures. 

We have hit a snag with connecting Ortho Vision to DataInnovations to Cerner Millenium.  Right now Cerner doesn't like the info coming from the Vision via DI.  Not sure yet if its just a matter of mapping or what the problem is.

So far the techs being trained think it is great.

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM, LKSchroed said:

Our Vision is to be installed tomorrow (May 24).  One tech goes to training on June 13.  The inhouse training starts June 20.   We have Cerner Milennium, but will also be using middleware (DataInnovations.)

Is there a reason you chose to use a middleware with the Vision?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

This does not answer the original question, since we are interfaced with Softbank, but I am going to warn you to the potential problems that are in store for you:

We have had two of these instruments up and running since August.  Here are the problems we have:

1. QC is a pain.  Half the time it does not pass because the instrument can't interpret the image. You can't change the result, so you have to rerun the QC. Sometimes you have to rerun it multiple times. It can take half the day just to get the QC to work and there have been times that the QC has timed out on both instruments and we have had to resort to manual testing. Not good for a busy hospital like ours. There is a software update in the works that will allow techs to manually interpret the image, but I feel this is a bandaid on a bigger problem, which is the sensitivity of the instrument to artifacts (see below).

2. The instrument is extremely sensitive, so even dust will cause it not to be able to interpret images. Techs manually have to change the grade. 

3. After centrifugation of the cards, we will sometimes see streaks of cells up both sides of the well, but not in the center. The instrument will interpret this as positive, but we have learned through experience that if we repeat with manual gel testing, it will be a nice negative result.  We never saw this happen with the ProVue and I wonder if it is a problem with the centrifuge. Perhaps if it used a balance card, we wouldn't have this problem. It's just my theory.

4. You can't put partially used cards back on the instrument.  It causes a lot of waste.  Also having to repeat QC so many times is wasteful.

5. Aside from the above problems, we love the instrument. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:13 AM, Kathy said:

This does not answer the original question, since we are interfaced with Softbank, but I am going to warn you to the potential problems that are in store for you:

We have had two of these instruments up and running since August.  Here are the problems we have:

1. QC is a pain.  Half the time it does not pass because the instrument can't interpret the image. You can't change the result, so you have to rerun the QC. Sometimes you have to rerun it multiple times. It can take half the day just to get the QC to work and there have been times that the QC has timed out on both instruments and we have had to resort to manual testing. Not good for a busy hospital like ours. There is a software update in the works that will allow techs to manually interpret the image, but I feel this is a bandaid on a bigger problem, which is the sensitivity of the instrument to artifacts (see below).

2. The instrument is extremely sensitive, so even dust will cause it not to be able to interpret images. Techs manually have to change the grade. 

3. After centrifugation of the cards, we will sometimes see streaks of cells up both sides of the well, but not in the center. The instrument will interpret this as positive, but we have learned through experience that if we repeat with manual gel testing, it will be a nice negative result.  We never saw this happen with the ProVue and I wonder if it is a problem with the centrifuge. Perhaps if it used a balance card, we wouldn't have this problem. It's just my theory.

4. You can't put partially used cards back on the instrument.  It causes a lot of waste.  Also having to repeat QC so many times is wasteful.

After that laundry list what's left to love?  I do like the user interface. . .

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:13 AM, Kathy said:

ABOUT #1 - just wondering why can't you change a QC result?  Are you allowed to change patient reaction results?

On 6/29/2016 at 2:06 PM, LKSchroed said:

Ortho Vision has been installed.  We are training techs on use.  I am writing the validation process as fast as possible along with required procedures. 

We have hit a snag with connecting Ortho Vision to DataInnovations to Cerner Millenium.  Right now Cerner doesn't like the info coming from the Vision via DI.  Not sure yet if its just a matter of mapping or what the problem is.

So far the techs being trained think it is great.

We have had a terrible time with the DI product, Instrument Manager.  The Lantronix box has failed twice (the network guy didn't plug it into a surge protector), and the mapping is a pain, even with direct help from DI.  

when I interfaced ProVue to cerner classic...it was a pain and took long time. make sure the names matches as it is require din Vision, DI and cerner Milennium.

middleware requirement is based on LIS system. Cerner needs DI. I thought soft doesn't need DI to connect to ProVue it may be different with Vision.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:49 AM, R1R2 said:

ABOUT #1 - just wondering why can't you change a QC result?  Are you allowed to change patient reaction results?

You can't change a QC result because that's how the Ortho people programmed the instrument. You are allowed to change patient reaction results.  The software update will allow users to change the QC result.

20 hours ago, Kathy said:

You can't change a QC result because that's how the Ortho people programmed the instrument. You are allowed to change patient reaction results.  The software update will allow users to change the QC result.

Interesting change. Immucor also doesn't allow changes to QC, which is a pain when you can plainly see that the problem is an artifact in a well.