Warm Auto Adsorbtions

Hi All,

I am wondering, how exactly are Warm autoadsorptions performed with PEG? I have always performed them with W.A.R.M reagent, but I have heard that using PEG is more cost effective and yields better results. Also, what exactly IS the difference in cost?? If someone could please explain this to me, it would be so incredibly helpful!!

There is a procedure in the technical manual I believe.  Basically it is equal volumes of cells, plasma and peg.  Incubate for 15 minutes, centrifuge and remove supernatant (save the cells 'cuz you can reuse them if you need to repeat the absorption), test the supernatant using 4 drops (2d peg/2d plasma).  I use it for all my warm autos - it works excellently.  I do this testing in tubes - I can never absorb out all the autoab if I test in gel.

In another post somewhere on this site someone discussed the fact that if the absorption showed no allosensitization they just used the immediate spin xm and did not have to worry about any interference from the autoab (might have been jpcroke).

Cost:  I can't go there.  Warm is a bit expensive.  I only use it to destroy Kell system ags and use it well past its outdate (it still works and so the the controls I run).

Edited by David Saikin

Thank you for your input on this method! I am wondering though, tube testing is less sensitive than gel, so are you truly clearing it when you are using this method?? Also, I don't understand why you cannot answer about the cost difference. Why?

Goodchild is correct about pricing - but WARM is more expensive than PeG.  I used to have a WARM protocol for absorptions - very complicated, esp when compared to Peg.  I use tubes because I can never absorb all the autoab out of a specimen if I use gel to test it with.  I don't need that increased sensitivity to r/o alloabs.  I have found that if I get a 4+ anti-IgG ab screen in gel, when I do it in tubes it is usually 1-2+.  This usually only takes one absorption to remove.  Most of the time there is no reactivity of the autoab left; rarely I have had to do 2 absorptions (and once I couldn't remove it with 4 but the tertiary care hospital couldn't either so . . .).    One must also remember that tube testing is still the standard (I think).  PeG absorptions sure beat the method of using enzyme pretreatment with the following incubations and absorptions.  It is quick and very reliable. 

Hope this helps.

I guess I am just confused about why pricing is such a secret. I get that it depends on contract, but I am asking in order to get a general price range. I am the Lead Blood Bank Tech at my facility, and We don't currently perform warm autoadsorptions. It seems like lately, we have been getting quite an increased number of patients with a warm auto antibody. I would like to get an idea of the cost of performing adsorptions, so that I can present this info to my supervisor.

I guess I am just confused about why pricing is such a secret. I get that it depends on contract, but I am asking in order to get a general price range. I am the Lead Blood Bank Tech at my facility, and We don't currently perform warm autoadsorptions. It seems like lately, we have been getting quite an increased number of patients with a warm auto antibody. I would like to get an idea of the cost of performing adsorptions, so that I can present this info to my supervisor.

At my pricing levels WARM is more than twice the cost of PeG (10 btls each).  When you reconstitute WARM it has a finite life span.  I usually use only 1-2 mL of PeG for an absorption and I can still use the btl until it outdates. 

Ditto ditto ditto! Half the time, half the price, half the work. Doesn't smell like skunk juice. What's not to like?

Don't worry about a loss of sensitivity - you're still testing in PeG at the end of the day. As Malcolm has pointed out, we weren't killing patients right and left in the half century before gel. Tube be or not tube be.......

• 1 month later...