Pediatric Platelets - Pheresis or Single Donor? concentrate or Not?

DCORRELL

I am the supervisor of a blood bank that supports a Level 3 NICU. Currently we get random donor platelets in for our nicu babies and centrifuge them to volume reduce and as the doctors say "concentrate" the platelets. I think the reason we volume reduce is that we generally get only type O platelets. I am interested in getting away from the random donors and moving towards using pheresis but am curious what other hospitals do. We do not have a sterile docking station so each dose would use a whole pheresis until I can obtain a sterile docking station. Does anyone still concentrate the concentrates? My NICU Docs actually request concentrated doses.

Danielle correll

Edited by DCORRELL

Volume-reduced platelet concentrates (PCs) can be a useful option for transfusing a high number of platelets in the smallest possible plasma volume, especially in neonatal and other pediatric patients. In addition to decreasing the risk of circulatory overload, volume-reduced PCs contain less plasma, which may reduce the likelihood of adverse plasma-related transfusion reactions.