pheresis platelet received in two attached bags

Alana

Does anyone have a source that can be cited for an expiration date/time on a pheresis platelet that is received from the supplier in two attached bags and combined into one bag at issue?

FYI: The system remains a closed system but the surface area for O2 exchange has been decreased.

thanks for your help.

Alana

I assume you are going to combine the bags when the product is released for transfusion.  I don't believe you have to change the exp date.  If they come back, I would discard them after 4 hrs due to the condition you mentioned.  I don't know of studies that have looked at the viability of plts combined in this fashion.

• 1 month later...

Occasionally our supplier gives us pheresis platelets for our neonates in two attached bags. SInce we use the sterile docking device to prepare syringe aliquots, we pool the platelets into one bag, mix well and take out the aliquot, and then re-connect the bags and divide the contents evenly between the two and store them as before. Is there any reason this would not be an acceptable practice?

Occasionally our supplier gives us pheresis platelets for our neonates in two attached bags. SInce we use the sterile docking device to prepare syringe aliquots, we pool the platelets into one bag, mix well and take out the aliquot, and then re-connect the bags and divide the contents evenly between the two and store them as before. Is there any reason this would not be an acceptable practice?

You may want to check with the blood supplier or bag manufacturer about a minimum volume of product/bag. 

• 2 months later...

Why do they come in the two separate bags to begin with ?

A single donor platelet pheresis must have a final platelet count  between 3.0x1011 and 6.0x1011 to be considered a full platelet dose. If the final count is, say, 6.1x1011, that unit can be split and made into two separate units.  If the final platelet count is, say, 5.9x1011, the volume of the platelets and plasma may be too high to assure adequate oxygen exchange in one single bag but the count too low to make two separate units.  Therefore, the unit will be separated into two attached bags in a closed unit to allow maximum storage but is still only 1 unit.  Hope that helps AMYM1586

To all my BB Guru's here: If I am wrong, please feel free to correct my understanding. :)