Body Fluids

We do body fluids on the disposable hemocytometers. Then if our WBC count is greater than 10, we are required to do a cytospin and report out a differential. To make the cytospin we use one drop with albumin with several drops of specimen. Does anyone have any tips on how to make the best cytospin slides? My main complaint is that some of the slides I'm looking at have cells that are so compressed that I can't tell whether they are lymphs or segs. What about when the body fluid is so bloody?? How do I make a slide that isn't just over-crowded with RBC's? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

• We use albumin for "thin" specimens also -- usually only for CSF.  The extra protein supposedly slows the rate at which the specimen is sucked up  by the filter paper -- allowing any cells to stay on the slide and not get sucked off into the filter.  Anyway, we have found that for CSF, one drop to 1 ml of specimen usually works well.

For specimens that are more than just blood-tinged, like some pleural or ascitic fluids, we would aliquot to an EDTA, spin that, and make a push smear from the button.

Make sure they are really really dry before staining also.  For some reason they seem to take longer than regular peripheral smears. 

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand, Albumin used in prep of cytospins allows the cells to migrate slower such that their morphology is not altered upon impact with the slide. ( Without the albumin making a cytospin on low viscosity body fluid is like throwing eggs at a brick wall; the eggs being the cells.)  As far as the volume of Albumin used; I usually use one drop albumin to one to two drops of specimen depending on the white count; if using one drop of albumin to several drops of specimen it defeats the purpose; I had come across a good explanation of the use of albumin in the prep of cytospins through CAP continuing education. Also, when working with a bloody body fluid it is best to use the most minimal dilution to make your cytospin where the WBC's can be readily distinguished from RBC's and accurately counted. I hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Edited by rravkin@aol.com

Another way to do it is to put a couple of drops of albumin on the slide and smear it over with a tissue and then wipe it 'clean'. The thin film of albumin left on the slide is enough for adherance. Another alternative is to use electrostatially charged slides.