Stryker Units

Does anyone have any info or experience on transfusion services being involved with auto-transfusions of shed blood (Stryker)?  How do you get involved or monitor?  Do you work up adverse reactions etc?

Any info (or being pointed in the right direction) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi,  How much you need to get involved could depend on your state regulations (if you have specific regulations pertaining to these types of procedures) for example...in NY we have to monitor WBC and RBC reinfusions done in Nuclear Medicine so I would def check those first.  When we did Strykers, they filled out a manual transfusion sheet and had to document if a there was a reaction or not.  They would put a copy in the patients chart and send a copy to the BB where we would log them and review the transfusions sheets for completeness.  We haven't done those in a while though.  Our perfusionists document autotransfusions(Reinfusion Atrium) and give us a list of them monthly.  They document the procedure date, med rec, type (heart, gen surg, ortho), Patient name, Dr. , Person performing, Ammount collected and ammount returned.  They give us a summary sheet with this list that says "All patients recieved the intended transfusion for the month of ______ 2015, no reactions noted.  It is signed by the perfusionist in charge and I review it and go over it at transfusion committee.   We have never had any issues with inspectors...only them questioning if we A) Go over the information at transfusion committee and keep stats for all sites that do this and B) If we document that the transfusions were given to the intended recipient and if there was a transfusion reaction or not.  We would work up any adverse reactions the same way as any blood product.  I personally, have never seen a reaction from something like this. 

Hope this helps!  Maybe some of the more seasoned BB vets will have better or more insight :)

Hi,  How much you need to get involved could depend on your state regulations (if you have specific regulations pertaining to these types of procedures) for example...in NY we have to monitor WBC and RBC reinfusions done in Nuclear Medicine so I would def check those first.  When we did Strykers, they filled out a manual transfusion sheet and had to document if a there was a reaction or not.  They would put a copy in the patients chart and send a copy to the BB where we would log them and review the transfusions sheets for completeness.  We haven't done those in a while though.  Our perfusionists document autotransfusions(Reinfusion Atrium) and give us a list of them monthly.  They document the procedure date, med rec, type (heart, gen surg, ortho), Patient name, Dr. , Person performing, Ammount collected and ammount returned.  They give us a summary sheet with this list that says "All patients recieved the intended transfusion for the month of ______ 2015, no reactions noted.  It is signed by the perfusionist in charge and I review it and go over it at transfusion committee.   We have never had any issues with inspectors...only them questioning if we A) Go over the information at transfusion committee and keep stats for all sites that do this and B) If we document that the transfusions were given to the intended recipient and if there was a transfusion reaction or not.  We would work up any adverse reactions the same way as any blood product.  I personally, have never seen a reaction from something like this. 

Hope this helps!  Maybe some of the more seasoned BB vets will have better or more insight :)

We do almost the exact same thing with our autotransfusion service.