Two separate sources of ABO/Rh antisera for electronic crossmatching blood types.

ejani

Hello Blood Bankers... 

Our facility is currently validating electronic crossmatching and I have a question...  

The AABB guideline for implementing an electronic crossmatch suggests having two separate sources of ABO/Rh anti-sera for testing the ABO/Rh.  The second blood types should be from a separately collected specimen.  

Our facility currently draws a second specimen if the patient does not have a blood type on file in our Blood Bank.  Is testing the initial and 2nd specimen with two different anti-sera's really necessary?

Thanks in advance for your input.  :)

We also use the same reagents.

If collected during the same admission, we do not allow the person who collected the original specimen to collect the second confirmation specimen.  This is to encourage positive patient identification instead of just saying, "I was just here, I know who you are".