Hi and Low alarm checks on new refrigerators/freezers

BBKT

We've recently received a new blood product refrigerator.  It has the ability to perform the hi and low alarm checks electronically.  Is this an acceptable way to perfrom alarm checks for AABB/CAP requirements?  Or do you still check alarms using ice/water mixture to manually lower/raise temps for alarm checks?

I check the old-fashioned way once a year and electronically the other 3 quarters. No issues with CAP. The procedure also includes a comment that if there are any indications of a problem, then it gets checked with the ice bath.

I did a full validation when I received the refrigerators to prove that the electronic checks were accurate and have not had to do the ice/water since. We would certainly do it if there were any issues at all. But we also have wireless temperature monitoring with helps a lot. The reports show whenever there was an alarm activation and what the corrective action was.

• 2 weeks later...

We've recently received a new blood product refrigerator.  It has the ability to perform the hi and low alarm checks electronically.  Is this an acceptable way to perfrom alarm checks for AABB/CAP requirements?  Or do you still check alarms using ice/water mixture to manually lower/raise temps for alarm checks?

I would check with the manufacturer.   Also, be sure to modify your SOP if you do this.   I once sited a facility because they were testing electronically but the SOP had not been updated.  

• 10 months later...