A red top for fetal screen testing

I am curious to know why in several hospital SOP's it is written that a lavender AND a red top must be collected for a fetal screen test on a Rh neg mom that just gave birth to a RH neg baby. I never use the red top for anything. I just end filing it away at the end of the shift. Does anyone know why we bother to draw it anymore? Thanks.

I think this practice (collecting cord blood into a lavender top and a red top)goes back 3-4 decades. The lavender top could be used for hematology and the red top for chemistry. In my previous facility, we stopped collecting cord blood period. Specimens were collected by venipuncture or heel stick. After hemology was done, we used that same specimen to screen for HDF/N. In my current facility, cord blood is routinely collected by Nursing into lavender and red tops. We toss the lavendar top and use the red top (after removing the large clot) on ProVue to screen for HDF/N.

Totally misread.  Have never collected a red top for immune-resetting test, only an EDTA tube.

Edited by Dansket

Oh no this is different from collecting the cord blood. The fetal screen test is a screening test to see whether the mom needs additional RhoGam. A positive result reflexes to the Kleihauer–Betke test to determine exactly how much she needs by calculating fetal cell to mom cell ratio.

I think this practice (collecting cord blood into a lavender top and a red top)goes back 3-4 decades. The lavender top could be used for hematology and the red top for chemistry. In my previous facility, we stopped collecting cord blood period. Specimens were collected by venipuncture or heel stick. After hemology was done, we used that same specimen to screen for HDF/N. In my current facility, cord blood is routinely collected by Nursing into lavender and red tops. We toss the lavendar top and use the red top (after removing the large clot) on ProVue to screen for HDF/N.