How do you define 'semiannual' competency in the 1st year?

kirkaw

Good Afternoon,

According to CLIA (and I think Joint Commission and CAP), evaluating and documenting competency of personnel responsible for testing is required at least semiannually during the first year the individual tests patient specimens.

How do you define 'semiannual'? Is this 6 months into employment? 6 months after the completion of initial competencies?

Furthermore, how many sets of competency assessments do you have after 1 year of service? 3: initial, semiannual and annual? or just 2 semiannual and annual?

Thanks,

Amelia

Initial Competency  =  Done once training is completed.

Semiannual  =  Within 6 months of the date of the initial competency.

After that, they get thrown in the regular annual schedule with all the other techs.

How successful is everyone with meeting all 6 elements of competency with every test system for each technologist? Blind samples aren't too bad but direct observations are problematic, especially for PRN/Weekend Night shift/etc.

How successful is everyone with meeting all 6 elements of competency with every test system for each technologist? Blind samples aren't too bad but direct observations are problematic, especially for PRN/Weekend Night shift/etc.

All techs who work in the BB, all shifts, need to come in on day shift and do a 3 hour competency session with me. Direct observation, a lot of review of procedures, panels "on paper" to assess their ruling out skills, and lots of scenario type questions ("what would you do if..."). It's painful, but our last inspector was pleased. And the techs actually said they liked it, that it was a good review...not sure if they will still feel that way after a few years of it in a row. :)

Same as Terri on the competencies. I also make up written exams to add to the mix. I use those to cover tricky stuff like emergency release, transfusing babies - anything we don't do very often - and critical stuff that I want to be sure they are solid on.

Terri:  I think what you are doing is great, and there's no doubt in my mind that scenarios questions, etc., can tell you whether the techs are up to snuff.  But how can you accomplish direct observation of all testing procedures within 3 hours?  (ie: elutions, etc.)

Donna

Terri:  I think what you are doing is great, and there's no doubt in my mind that scenarios questions, etc., can tell you whether the techs are up to snuff.  But how can you accomplish direct observation of all testing procedures within 3 hours?  (ie: elutions, etc.)

Donna

We don't do elutions here.  What I do is watch them do one of each type of method.  So I have them do a specimen on the Tango with every test ordered.  Then a type (tube testing), antibody screen (gel testing), and Direct Coombs' (AHG procedure).  The day shift techs also have RPRs and fetal bleed screens.  While tests are running/incubating, we go through the policy review and scenario questions.  I do like the scenario questions instead of a quiz because sometimes there are different paths to the correct answer and it gives us a chance to talk it out.  Gets them thinking.

Thanks, Terri.  I can see how doing just one of each type of method and no elutions, titrations, etc., cuts it down to a reasonable time.  (I'm assuming you also consider the tests that they do to be "unknowns," so that knocks off another aspect of the competency testing?)

Donna

Thanks, Terri.  I can see how doing just one of each type of method and no elutions, titrations, etc., cuts it down to a reasonable time.  (I'm assuming you also consider the tests that they do to be "unknowns," so that knocks off another aspect of the competency testing?)

Donna

Correct. Also they each do NYS Dept of Health proficiency tests during the year which include all tests and methods, so those are all unknown. My inspector even wanted me to "grade" each one with 100% and my initials to prove that they passed.

I am considering scheduling myself on a 2nd shift and a partial 3rd shift once/quarter to get direct observation done for folks on those shift. It is difficult to get all 6 elements done for each test that produces a result. Plus, I feel obligated to assess competency on things not strictly required by CLIA like product dispense and component preparation.