AABB deemed status for CAP?

kirkaw

If you are AABB and CAP accredited and the accreditation renewal periods are in sync, you can request for the AABB and CAP blood bank "inspection" to be coordinated. You can select 5 blackout days and the AABB assigned assessor(s) will also perform the blood bank portion of the CAP inspection checklist as well as some of the general lab items that apply to the blood bank.  The CAP assigned team will perform the inspection of the other areas of the laboratory.  Just as a note, coordination does not mean the AABB team and CAP team will be there on the same days.    

AABB has deemed status for CMMS; there is no such thing as deemed status for CAP (which also has deemed status for CMMS).  You can get coordinated inspections;   you can also just get the AABB inspection and not have a CAP performed (you'll have to discuss this with CAP but we recently inspected a facility for CAP and did not have to do the BB as they were AABB inspected also).  I do not know the "process" for only having the one inspection, but if you do go that route you'll have to take the AABB assessment to maintain your AABB accreditation. 

My edit:  duh - chances are the AABB assessor did the CAP inspection too.  I have an IQ - I even use it sometime.

Edited by David Saikin