Specimen centrifuge

tbostock

Terri,

We use the Hettich which we bought through Helmer.  It is fast (we have ours set at 80,000 RPM for 2 minutes) and works well.  The only drawback I see is that occasionally you press start and it doesn't start.  It seems to have a short time delay (where it is assessing the lid lock?) and won't start if pressed too soon.

• 4 months later...

We have 2 brand new Hettitech/Helmer SeroSpin®-FA-280s.  The FA rotor has a maximum of 5000 rpm but we're using 3500 for serological testing. We also purchased a separate 12 place blood separation rotor to use for spinning the samples (we spin at the bench). The maximum RPM for that extra head is 6000 and we have ours set to spin at 5000 for 5 minutes and get nice separation. The centrifuge knows which head is in. I've never heard of a 80,000RPM centrifuge! That's crazy fast! Or a typo? :blink:

• 5 months later...

Pammy, I am getting a quote for the Hettich EBA 280. Is that what you have? The spec sheet the sales rep sent me says it spins at 5000 rpm and I didn't know if that was accceptable for serologic testing. I am happy to know that this speed is adjustable.

How have these worked for you now that you've had them a few months?

We use Hettich EBA20S to spin samples... plastic tubes only.  It has a max RPM of 8000.  (Note the digital display says 80 x 100).  We purchased it from Helmer.  It does a dandy job of spinning samples for testing.  We use a 2 minute spin and get platelet poor plasma.  Great for samples to be tested in gel.

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 1:20 PM, kirkaw said:

Pammy, I am getting a quote for the Hettich EBA 280. Is that what you have? The spec sheet the sales rep sent me says it spins at 5000 rpm and I didn't know if that was accceptable for serologic testing. I am happy to know that this speed is adjustable.

How have these worked for you now that you've had them a few months?

I'm just getting back to this...2 years later. I erred...it's a Hettitech EBA280. The former model was FA. They are marketed with different application packages for different lab uses, but I basically ordered what we wanted a la carte.

We have our centrifuges set for different RPM's and different times for different purposes. You can create up to 9 combinations to be preset. It's a pain to do though. Our serology rotor is set at 3500 for testing (max for the head is 5000), and the larger specimen rotor is set for 6000 for sample separation (max is 6000). The centrifuge will not allow the rotors to exceed their max.

Also notice I've removed the thingies that hold the tubes tight in the "washing" fixed rotor (as opposed to the swing out rotor). The purpose is to keep the tubes from falling out while decanting with manual washes. Their a bit tight and a nuisance and since we don't really need them I removed.

I'm looking at the Hettitech site now and I see they've reconfigured some of their application packages, but I'm still not thrilled with the Blood Bank one. 6 tube slots are not enough IMO.

Overall they work good. Programming is a PIA but as long as no one accidentally hits wrong buttons and changes it once it's set you won't have to mess with it.

2HETTITECH HEADS.jpg

Edited by PammyDQ