PeG and failed check cells

suhu

We occassionally have problems with PeG testing where the check cells fail.  These are the high protein plasma's that turn super cloudy when PeG is added.  Handwashing and "flicking" the cells off the bottom of the tube inbetween washes helps some, but some are really stubborn and just won't check.  Does anyone else see this and what do you do?   thanks.

Thanks for your ideas David.   To clarify what I wrote, we do have automated cell washers, but with these samples the buttons get super stuck to the tubes and the check cells never work. So techs are instructed to repeat testing and wash by hand so the buttons can be re-suspend between washes and give them an extra wash.  Occasionally though, even this doesnt work.

Thanks for your ideas David.   To clarify what I wrote, we do have automated cell washers, but with these samples the buttons get super stuck to the tubes and the check cells never work. So techs are instructed to repeat testing and wash by hand so the buttons can be re-suspend between washes and give them an extra wash.  Occasionally though, even this doesnt work.

Are you using plastice tubes?  I don't know if it makes a difference.  I use glass 10x75s and wash 4x by hand.  Usually no problems.

• 4 months later...

PeG can precipitate plasma proteins. You may have better results with serum. We use 12x75 tubes and usually have no problems with our old Centra W cell washers x 4 washes. Once in a while we might have to add an extra wash. We have also seen rare patients who just don't want to check no matter what you use for enhancement. One we actually had to wash through 3 cycles of 4 washes before the cells would check. You hope the antibody hangs on tight.