Scanning panel worksheets, build a database

I'm looking to see if anyone is currently scanning AB ID workups into a searchable database.

We're are losing space and I will have no home for the file cabinets with all our past panel workups.

We use these frequently when a patient comes back in and we'd like to know how the current panel compares to past panels.

A cursory search has not shown any software/database that might meet our needs.

So before I drive myself any crazier than I already am - is anyone using anything like this and maybe recommend something?

Thanks!

The easiest way to do this is without software. Create a folder "panels."

Scan each patient's panels and save as a file using the patient's name and/or medical record number as the file name.

Examples:

SMITH JOHN.PDF

SMITH JOHN FYA K JKA.PDF

SMITH JOHN 150115.PDF (this is year month day for sorting chonologically)

SMITH JOHN.PDF

This system makes it easy to do a file search.

The easiest way to do this is without software. Create a folder "panels."

Scan each patient's panels and save as a file using the patient's name and/or medical record number as the file name.

Examples:

SMITH JOHN.PDF

SMITH JOHN FYA K JKA.PDF

SMITH JOHN 150115.PDF (this is year month day for sorting chonologically)

SMITH JOHN.PDF

This system makes it easy to do a file search.

I've thought about doing something like this. Making a network folder for antibodies, giving each patient a folder inside this folder titled with their MRN, and inside that folder identifying each workup as one PDF titled with either the date or the specimen number.

I anticipate a tidal wave of resistance to implementing something like this so I have simply tucked it away in the corner of my mind for now.

I am currently working on something like this, just for our purged files so we can send them to the warehouse.  Not using software, but making a folder tree to scan the panels into.  The  problem we are running into is that some of the older panels are not scanning very well.  The ink is faint.  Some, we will have to resort to doing photographs.  Other concerns we have as we work on this is file encryption and backing up.  Anyone have ideas?  Even if we end up having to keep the paper versions, it is easier to search electronically than digging around in old and crumpled papers!

• 2 months later...

Thank you all!  There are several system out there that could be used. 

We have selected PaperVision.  It's pdf's by MRN then date.  Secure, accessible only by blood bank staff.  All the data lives on our servers, but there is a optical disc backup.  And it's already in use by our HR and Finance department.  Relatively cost effective.  I have 60,000 files to convert, and they will scan for me.  We are moving into smaller quarters and there is just no room for our files. 

again, my thanks for all your suggestions!

No, but let me know if you find something.

Include me, too. My boss wants all my stuff scanned into a database (in my abundant spare time of course) that would be less than easily searchable for individual patients. He doesn't seem to 'get' that we actually use that information at times for patient workups - not just to meet regulatory requirements. (Did I mention that he's a chemist?)