Macro Blood Utilization data

BloodBankGuy

Hello everyone,

Looking for some help/direction based off of a request made by my Medical Director. 

Do you have a way to track blood utilization in a macro fashion rather than just micro.  Not looking at individual patients and their clinical indicators but looking at severity indices in a hospital system as a whole. For example if a severity index for a hospital is 1.3 the average number of transfusions for a patient should be “x” amount.  Also, if that number goes up and goes down what is the number of transfusions that should be followed?  Request comes from medical director to see if there is a number that hospitals should be shooting for, for average transfusions based off of this variable. Thank you.

AABB Tech Manual basically just hits the micro portion of blood utilization(hematocrit, clinical indicators) on certain patients.  From what I read there isn't much concerning macro utilization.  Just looking at the amount of transfusions per 1000 patients with a severity index of a certain number.  Any info or direction to look would be helpful!!!

It is very interesting to track transfusions with certain diseases/diagnoses. We looked at all hip/knee replacements and the patients that were transfused correlated to a higher post-op infection rate.  We started using transfusion alternatives and transfusing them less, and the infection went down accordingly.

So my suggestion is...start small.  Pick a diagnosis, or surgical procedure and compare blood utilization.

Terri - I had just the opposite experience.  Had an ortho hip guy who transfused at <10 hgb.  Tried for years to get him to change - even checked his postop infection rate - IT WAS THE BEST IN SURGERY!  We finally convinced him to lower his threshold - deluged with journal articles, harangued by the Medical Director and peers.