new year goals for blood bank staff

salman

I am intrested to share what type of goals you assigned to your blood bank staff annualy. we assign the goals like : educational goals

,personnel development goals like: " You have to earn 10 CME following year" you have to give 3 presentation to blood bank staff" etc

what else other do ?

Great question, and I love the educational/development goals. Unfortunately, we often have to include behavioral ones (reduce the incidences of tardiness, multitask and help out in other aisles on off shifts) or rather generic goals (mentor new hires on your shift, support the lab's QI/QA initiative, "keep up the good work"). Where applicable, specific projects are listed (train on the new .........analyzer, coordinate staff training on return).

I put in goals that pertain to new skills, new computer programs, new instruments, etc that will have to be learned that year. I don't bother with CMEs because the state of Rhode Island already dictates that and the techs know what they have to do. No one does any presentations here which would be nice but to meet CME goals, the state only requires attendance at lab programs, or completion of online study programs etc. I haven't put in any "personal development" things like Dr. Pepper but that wouldn't be a bad idea.

One of our problems is that all but one tech are crosstrained and only work in the Blood Bank on 2nd and 3rd shift and/or are perdiems or very part-timers and almost never work in the BB. So there isn't much opportunity for them to expand themselves in our little lab.

Our special goals for individual associates, if there are any needed, would be set up in September, when our evaluation reviews are conducted by managers.  The administrative goals are usually set by June, when our fiscal year starts.

Since there are constant changes in tests and policies in the Lab, the important stuff gets done as the year rolls on regardless of what goals may or may not have been set up months in advance.

Scott

My organization always made them quantifiable, it made it easier for us at eval time.

I like John's idea of them making them up on their own but I'm sure some techs will come up with some rather "lame" goals if you don't help them out and insist that they meet or exceed the stated goals.