Blood Products - Defaulting to wrong Req (Meditech 5.6.6)

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums, so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm so excited to find an online community of knowledgable healthcare IT professionals!

The issue I'm having (Meditech 5.6.6) is with blood products defaulting on the wrong requisition. We have an ABO confirmatory test that reflexes for patients without blood bank history. This test creates a completely new requision. When a physician goes back in to order blood products, the product itself and the crossmatch are being attached to the ABO confirmation test (instead of the original type and screen). In effect, we're having to go back in, cancel the blood product/crossmatch, and add them manually to the original type and screen requision. How can I set up all blood products to default only on the type and screen requisition?

Thank you!

What I suspect might be going on is that your ABORH test for "check type" is allowed to be used to add additional orders on.  Check your Customer Defined Parameters.

We created a separate test from the ABORH called "check".  This blood type test had no charges attached to it.  You will not be able to bill for the 2nd blood type test.

We added a test to our TS order only called "is check type needed".  The is a Y/N response.  If answered "Y", a new requisition will print.  We added a query for the Techs to "check mark" a box if phleb. needed to go and collect the specimen.  All check type requisitions are brought to BB 1st.  If we can locate a different specimen to use, then the Tech goes and gets it.  If no specimen, we mark the box and bring it back to phleb. to draw.

We also allowed "check" to be ordered from Lab if the Tech felt it was warrented.  We also have a test called RETYPE, which is using the SAME specimen as the ABORH, and repeating the test at no charge.

We had our IT create a new "department" identifier for our second blood type for verification. So, instead of a specimen number starting with BB (for blood bank), we have BT (for the second blood type). This way, when the floor staff adds on product, it will go to the BB number instead of the BT number.

We had our IT create a new "department" identifier for our second blood type for verification. So, instead of a specimen number starting with BB (for blood bank), we have BT (for the second blood type). This way, when the floor staff adds on product, it will go to the BB number instead of the BT number.

This is how our system is set up. It works well for us.

I didn't even know you could set up Meditech for the physician to automatically order the products onto the Type and Screen.

I don't know if I would want it to work that way unless someone can explain to me the benefit . . .

For us the Type and Screen (TYSC) and second specimen to verify blood type for new patients (RETYPE) are under separate requisitions, with a reflex ordering similar to what whbb described.

When a physician later orders a transfusion it generates as a new requisition: "Request for ____"

The technologist orders the blood products onto the applicable requisition when they are prepared: assigned products onto the request that generated them and crossmatchable products onto the TYSC.

Hi Everyone!

The issue I'm having (Meditech 5.6.6) is with blood products defaulting on the wrong requisition. We have an ABO confirmatory test that reflexes for patients without blood bank history. This test creates a completely new requision. When a physician goes back in to order blood products, the product itself and the crossmatch are being attached to the ABO confirmation test (instead of the original type and screen). In effect, we're having to go back in, cancel the blood product/crossmatch, and add them manually to the original type and screen requision. How can I set up all blood products to default only on the type and screen requisition?

I know that you don't want to hear it, but unless you have your confirmatory test reflex onto the original accession number, you will be unable to fix things. Meditech attaches any new blood bank work onto the most recent active blood bank accession number, i.e. your confirmatory accession number. I have my confirmatory types to reflex onto the original number that way any crossmatches or product orders will attach there.