Complete Urinalysis vs dipstick

jschlosser

We do something like that for routine UAs. I think its pretty common for those of us that do not have a UA analyzer like the Urosys, which analyzes specimens microscopically.

The only time we would do a micro on a strip normal urine is if they wanted a screen for a culture.

Scott

• 1 month later...

We perform a microscopic for positive parameters you mentioned and if a microscopic is specifically ordered.  Darn OB Dr.'s want a micro even if the urine is crystal clear.  A previous lab I worked at did micros on all urines but that was 20 years ago.

• 7 years later...

Not performing the microscopic examination anymore is a huge clinical damage because the cytology of the sediment is a fundamental in urological diagnostics, especially if performed on colored sediments. Even today I also prepare PAD's like the one for proteins (Albumin) described below:

Protein urine strip (Protein-PAD)

Reagent solution A: dissolve in 500 g dH2O, 130 g sodium citrate, 46.6 g citric acid, 0.8 g lauroyl sarcosine, and add 1 litre of methanol

Reagent solution B: dissolve in 200 ml methanol 59.4 g magnesium sulfate, 0.5 g tetrabromophenolphthalein ethyl ester and fill up to 1 litre with methanol.

Filter paper support: filter paper Whatman #1 is dipped in separate reagents solution and then each time is dried.

Procedure: when the test strip obtained were dipped for 5 sec. into protein-containing urins, then uniformly green and blue colorations of the test zone were obtained, whereas when dipped, in same time, in protein-free urine gave a negative reaction indicated by a pale yellow color