Wra+ screen cells

Teristella

A bit of a rant -- I'm surprised no one else has posted about this yet -- our last batch of screen cells from Immucor had a Wra+ cell and we have been PLAGUED with nuisance positives as a result. Called and complained and they sent us two sets, but we went through those already. They only have four days left on them so we're just sucking it up and trying to run everything we can on Echo (even more than usual, I try to run pairs and this month I've run a lot of single samples to avoid delays from a possible anti-Wra!). We found 4 in three shifts after opening them which was what prompted us to call. Who knew how common anti-Wra was (or wanted to know?!)  :raincloud:  If it happens again I think we'll insist on the whole lot being replaced. We generally run traumas on the bench and had quite a few with anti-Wras, the docs tend to get nervous when the screen is positive and we're still ruling out majors!

I could not agree more Teristella.

It is quite ridiculous to put out a screening cell that is Wr(a+).

In the UK, well, within the NHSBT anyway, we make certain all of our screening cells, and our panel cells are Wr(a-).

It is well known that anti-Wra, or antibodies directed against low prevalence antigens that cross-react with Wr(a+) red cells, are a lot more common than are true Wr(a+) red cells.