ABG in tubes

jschlosser

Our phlebotomist will sometimes draw samples from an artery with a butterfly when ABGs are ordered along with other labs. We are concerned with the empty space in the vacutainer tubes even if filled to the recommended draw volume. Just wondering what other labs may do in this situation?

• 1 month later...

Respiratory does blood gasses now but when we did them we would draw all labs from the artery along with the ABG.  There was some correlation performed sometime before I came here so I assume that they correlated.  We just threw away a drawer full of glass blood gas syringes.  Some of the old tech that were here when I first came here said they washed/autoclaved and reused the syringes and would resharpen needles.. wow...

Pretty sure that any type of headspace, even vacuum, is going to cause problems with the CO2 result.   You need to consistantly follow manufacturer's recomendations here or otherwise have a study that shows tubes are equivalent to syringes for ABGs

Scott