May a Lab Director work in any area of Lab without training?

Dansket

This lab director has not worked the bench in blood bank in over 30 years.  We use gel exclusively.  She does not think she needs to go through the usual 3 week training program.  She has not been trained to read gel cards, but has read the MTS Gel Card Interpretation Guide.  How would your facility react to this situation?

Two words:  patient safety.  

Having anyone working a bench who has not been through the usual training and staff competencies is a risk to patient safety.  Just because you are a manager does not mean you are a competent worker bee.

Would Nursing, Pharmacy, Radiology let a department director work in their depts w/o adequate training.

Best of luck to you with this dilemma  .  When I was a manager I did competencies just like everyone else on staff.  And as a PRN I am still expected to do my yearly mandatory training.

This lab director has not worked the bench in blood bank in over 30 years.  We use gel exclusively.  She does not think she needs to go through the usual 3 week training program.  She has not been trained to read gel cards, but has read the MTS Gel Card Interpretation Guide.  How would your facility react to this situation?

We train for at least 3 weeks in BB, sometimes 4.  I would think someone out of it for 30 years would need to be completely trained.  We had someone out on FMLA for 6 months and we had to bring them in for retraining.  So 30 years...wow...yes.

Twenty-eight dittos to all of the above (if dittos are in policy and I have been trained in the use thereof and found to be competent). Needs to go through the exact same training/competency/signoff.

The only possible variable in our training is time: obviously, a seasoned vet will need less training time than a new graduate.

Edited by Dr. Pepper

Anybody who works anywhere in the Lab has to have competencies and other stuff documented at least yearly anyway.   If Jesus Christ walked into our Lab He wouldn't be allowed to do any testing until he was appropriately checked off for each type of test that is performed.

Besides the obvious risk to patient safety, during a tracer inspection if the inspector happens to check work that that director did and there are no current competencies on record, you would certianly get cited.

Scott