Expiration Date

tcoyle

All,

How would you handle this scenario?  (think general lab requirements, not necessarily blood bank requirements)

You have a reagent that is made with a powder.  The powder expires on Sept. 30, however, when one makes up the solution; the solution itself has an expiration of 6 months.

Should the solution stay at 6 months or should it be Sept 30?

If you have any CAP/CLIA/NYS standards you could give me to justify your answer that would help too

For me a no brainer - September 30th or 6 months, whichever is the earliest.  Not a question of CAP or anything else, just common sense

So, you make up the solution on January 1st - you can use it till July 1st

You make up the solution on May 1st - you can use it till September 30th

You make up the solution on July 1st - you can use it till September 30th

Unless (which I doubt) it specifically says otherwise in the accompanying box insert (IFU)

Although the manufacturers may well have factored in the 6 months life of the solution when calculating the 'do not use after' date for the powder - I, although neither a manufacturer nor au fait with the regulations concerning such things, would have done.

You have asked an excellent question and I, despite my point above, would, whenever there was any doubt, always choose the safer option.

Edited by pstruik