Use of cord blood samples - perplexed?

saralm88

Hi everyone!

For those of you who use cord blood samples - what do you do if the doctor would like a ABORH on a baby where the cord blood has "B-Jane Doe" on the tube but the parents have now changed the name to "John Smith"?  Do you request a redraw or use the cord if you can link it back?

I appreciate any input or experience anymore can give me :)

Thanks!!

S

Our babies don't get a name until they are discharged.  Until then they are mother's last name, boy or girl.

That's how our system works. We ask for a label that includes the baby's MR#, but usually don't get it. Constant battle with the floor to get specimens that are labeled correctly and not totally grossout smeared with blood on the outside.

Our cord samples are labelled with the mother's information and a label with the infant's - this includes Doe, Infant MR#, acct#, DOB. If we have an order after the name change (which could include different last name), we have 2 baby identifiers (MR#, DOB) and the mother's identifiers to cross reference. Works well especially with common last names.

Our system is like PBaker and AMcCord.  We will occasionally get samples with the mother's demographics, but Family Birthplace has to come down and bring the right demographic label.  Our samples from C-sections are pristine, while the ones from normal deliveries are often gross with blood.  An email stopped that for the most part, but I have to say, Really?  You have to be that sloppy???