Reagent refrigerators

bbville

If NO blood products are stored in a Blood Bank reagent refrigerator is there any requirement to continuously record the temperature (temp chart)?  I know it must be continuously monitored, but I do not think it needs to be continuously recorded. Ours is monitored and alarm checks are performed.  The temp (internal and digital) is recorded daily.  We have always had a recording graph chart, but it is not working (no fluctuation in actual temp, though).  We have been recording q4 hour temps, but I do not think it is necessary as long as no blood products are kept in that storage unit.  Anyone?

We do not have a chart recorder on our reagent refrigerator and have never used one for that purpose. We use a Hi/Lo thermometer and document those temps daily. We've been CAP inspected many times and CLIA inspected once - no problems.

Edited by AMcCord

As long as no blood products are stored there you should be fine with daily temps like any other "reagent" refrigerator in the lab.  I would ensure that I had a procedure that clearly states that no blood products are stored there and maybe a sign on the refrigerator reminding people to not put blood products in this refrigerator.

• 2 months later...

For those of you using hi/low thermometers, do you only document the actual temperature reading and that the hi/low was within range?  How often do you reset the hi/low reading (after alarm checks, etc?) 

I'm putting these in place for my generalist staff to verify the hi/low reading as well and working on my forms.  I'm sure I'm over thinking this process!  Thanks.