Mediware HCLL Version 4.7.0

The Transfusion Service at my hospital is in the process of validating Mediware HCLL Version 4.7.0.  I know that this an older version of the software, but it was purchased a few years back and it is just now being validated for use.  Unfortunately, the organization chose to work with contractors to perform training, installation, and some validations on a centralized server.  We are not allowed to speak with Mediware directly and we have tons of questions that are not being adequately answered by the contractors.  Does anyone know of an online source that I could get info about this version?  We have been provided no documentation from Mediware, so it has been hard working with this system. 

Just a little background on the project.  This is a Department of Defense project.  62 sites are validating the computer for their hospitals.  We will all have a centralized server.   Great idea for military hospitals should it work.

Thanks Rita, but unfortunately we cannot contact Mediware directly.  Everything must go through the contractors and so far they haven't produced the documents.  They only provide their water downed interpretation of the user's guide.

We are still using 4.6, but we can access the users manual by clicking on Help at the top of the screen then and opening the contents option.  You can also click on F1 from inside the program and it will open to the section of the user guide that corresponds to that application.  I don't know if this is available on your version, and it isn't always a perfect resource.  It is better than nothing though.  Hope this works in your version.

Wow, it's a shame to hear this.  If you have actual system functionality questions I may be able to help, that is if it's allowed for you to reach out to other Mediware users.   Someone needs access to the Mediware users group online.  

I've used Mediware for years, end user, builder etc.  Is there any mechanism to get your "bosses" to strongly suggest to the contractors that if you are not allowed access to the Mediware supplied documents that your validation will be sub-par patients may be at risk when the system goes live?  

That may be a little extreme but proper system use and validation is almost impossible without some vendor supplied documentation and adequate training provided by someone.

Feel free to private message me from this site. 

• 5 months later...

Question:  Would any Mediware users in NC, SC, or GA please respond?  I would very much like to see how this system works and compare against our current BB software to see if it would be worth attempting to get a new system in the next 5 years.  Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

Question:  Would any Mediware users in NC, SC, or GA please respond?  I would very much like to see how this system works and compare against our current BB software to see if it would be worth attempting to get a new system in the next 5 years.  Thanks! 

I'd be happy to try to assist in a site visit to evaluate HCLL - please feel free to reach me at aaron.winkelmann@mediware.com.

Hello,

Are there any labs using Mediware for their BB software with Epic Beaker that could speak to the positive or negative of that interfacing?

Thanks!

Larry Dolce, BSMT, MLS (ASCP)cm
Business Systems Analyst Sr.
Novant Health ITS|Information Technology Services
LIS|Laboratory Information Systems|Greater Charlotte Market, NC

Are you already Epic/Beaker and adding Mediware or the other way around? We currently have that combination (Epic/Beaker in May 2013 and added Mediware in Oct. 2013). We are affilliated with a larger organization and are what they call "community conect". This is usually used for clinic add-ons, but we are a 100 bed hospital with an extensive outreach service and a Cancer Center so we have a large test menu. So we are the first community connect (maintained on an external server) of this size for this organization and therefore have had numerous problems.We have been extremely frustrated with the Epic/Beaker portion as we do not  have any control over the build and it is not being customized for us but 'standardized' for the larger organization which does not fit our needs and in many ways seems to be a reduction in quality of care.

As far as Mediware interface:

Biggest problems are that reflex testing fails so we have to add/replicate additional testing.

Comments are limited in character size and only one comment will cross without failure.

All specimens must be received in Beaker before they cross into Mediware.

Updating the physician database in the Mediware configurator to prevent ADT failures is on-going daily process (due to our large organization affiliation).

System is designed for physician ordering of all blood products and physicians are hard to train (different processes for scheduled outpatient transfusions (Cancer Center patients) vs inpatient transfusion ordering.

Hope this helps. Nancy

Thanks so much Nancy -

We are at the last stage evaluating Mediware and a couple of other vendors for our BB application to go with Epic Beaker that we will bring up at the same time throughout our facilities.

Which large organization are you affliated with, if you don't mind me asking?  I may want to reach out to them for some more insight before a final decision is made. 

Larry

• 3 months later...

Are you already Epic/Beaker and adding Mediware or the other way around? We currently have that combination (Epic/Beaker in May 2013 and added Mediware in Oct. 2013). We are affilliated with a larger organization and are what they call "community conect". This is usually used for clinic add-ons, but we are a 100 bed hospital with an extensive outreach service and a Cancer Center so we have a large test menu. So we are the first community connect (maintained on an external server) of this size for this organization and therefore have had numerous problems.We have been extremely frustrated with the Epic/Beaker portion as we do not  have any control over the build and it is not being customized for us but 'standardized' for the larger organization which does not fit our needs and in many ways seems to be a reduction in quality of care.

As far as Mediware interface:

Biggest problems are that reflex testing fails so we have to add/replicate additional testing.

Comments are limited in character size and only one comment will cross without failure.

Updating the physician database in the Mediware configurator to prevent ADT failures is on-going daily process (due to our large organization affiliation).

System is designed for physician ordering of all blood products and physicians are hard to train (different processes for scheduled outpatient transfusions (Cancer Center patients) vs inpatient transfusion ordering.

Hope this helps. Nancy

Thank you for the information, Nancy.  I circled back with some folks at Providence and wanted to clarify a couple of items.

While the comments are limited to 250 characters, multiple comments can be sent/received on a result or order message.  This is dependent on how the interface configuration and comment profile is set-up in Epic.

As with most focused blood bank solutions, Specimens pass through the lab system for greater specimen management before they are sent to the blood bank application.  Once the lab tech barcode scans the specimen and receives it in beaker, the specimen should be auto-packed to a packing list and sent to HCLL as a one-click process.

HCLL offers a feature to add physicians on the fly to the physician code table from the ORM order message (version 2013 and higher).  Previously, when the MFN feed was the primary source of physicians, the HIS only sent updates nightly, so if a new physician was placing orders/admitting patients before the updated MFN feed was received, then there would be errors.  However, with the ORM order message, this item should be addressed.

Thanks!