How much experience do you have in the field and how long did it take you to feel comfortable?

Mosaics

Welcome elkinscf.  Brilliant post!

I sort of know what you mean.

My first night duty involved giving out 2 full blood count results, the testing of which had been done during the day.  I thought that the night duty was a complete doddle.

Second night wasn't too bad either.

Third night?  Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, which took 68 units (in the days when we used to cross-match every unit, despite how much the patient had received)!

Does make your bladder muscles quiver a bit, doesn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started as an OJT in BB in 1971 with a BS in Bio.  Worked at a very busy BB in Albany NY but it was at least a year before I was really comfortable.  Was always reading on the various blood groups 'cuz I didn't have the background.  Eventually they let me go to their med tech school afterwhich I became the evening shift supv in a rural hosp in Northern NH.  Went from their to beng one of the original techs that opened the University Hospital at Stony Brook, NY.  WOW - did I learn a lot more (as the night guy).  The best BB job ever!  I even saw stuff on RESCUE 911 that I was involved with.  The job really piqued my interest in BB and I challenged and passed the SBB exam (last one with the practical).  Been around a bit since then - Northeast Tennessee (Bristol) and then back to Littleton, NH.  As others have intimated - I still get to see stuff I've not encountered before (and to Malcolm I am forever grateful 'cuz he sure does improve my comfort level).  My only regret is that I do not comprehend all the new molecular testing but then, I should be retiring sometime in the next few years so that is a moot point. 

To sum it up, just over 20 years in the lab field, with about 16 in Donor Center/Transfusion Service.  I still remember my first night as a newly trained tech in the Transfusion Servcie working solo and just waiting for the Trauma pager to go off - PRICELESS.  Another funny story was that night, I was afraid to leave the section to use the restroom just in case someone needed blood.  I couldn't set down; had to constantly do the dance - my bladder was full.  :huh:  Each new position had its learning/confidence curve, but after a year or so, I felt pretty confident.

I can relate - but I had a urinal to use (being the only night guy - and sometimes it was so busy  you couldn't get away

• 2 weeks later...

AHHHH! I was hoping that John or Malcolm were longer at BB than I have been. - Started 1969 (In multi-disciplinary lab0 - gravitated to BB - Have always loved it but re-invented myself as Quality & Risk Manager over the last few years. Being put out to pasture by my Hosp on my birthday in Sept this year (we all know that we go senile on that birthday, and are only good for sitting in an armchair by the fire, with the knee rug pulled up, dribbling down the shirt) - But I have a cunning plan - I have been offered a contract in Saudi commissioning new hospitals (Laboratory, Risk & JCI responsibilities) so will be leaving you all when the political situation has settled after the death of the King - and the new King settles in and appointees to positions get to grips with what's happening.

I will miss the posts.

Cheers

Eoin :(

Eoin, congrats on moving into a new phase of your life. 

I started my life in the lab in 1979 after 4 years of college, 2 years of looking for work as a microbiologist, 2 more years of college to become a MT.  After about 2 years as a generalist followed by 2 years in blood bank I became the blood bank supervisor.  About 12 years there then went to the hospital down the street to be the transfusion supervisor.  After 15 years there I had to move on, (long story that leads to nightmares), I left there for a small rural clinic in western Wyoming for 5.5 years, from there to my current job as night tech (generalist) in a small hospital in southwest Wyoming.  In 185 more shifts I will retire for real this time and spend time with my wife, dogs, and the great outdoors.  I work so I can play and in 185 more shifts I can just play.  :clap:  :boogie::hooray:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In 1991 I started work in medical laboratory and in 2000 I worked with M.O.H  in jordan in Aqaba and in Amman I worked in 2004 in albasheer hospital at last in 2007 I worked in blood bank centre in amman

But I still work blood group  coombs test and x-match only