Urine container recycling

kaz5485

I am not really sure where to post this question but it comes for our Chemistry lab so I thought this would be a good place to start.  Does anyone recycle used urine cups and jugs?  We have been told that unless blood is visible, urine can be emptied in the sink and the containers can be recycled.  One of our concerns is how to protect HIPAA info.  We want to be good lab citizens but peeling off all those labels or blacking them out is not feasible.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Not sure about whether it is wise to re-use any container for patient specimens. 

Besides that though, what is the problem with relabeling?  Are you trying to save money by re-using disposables?

I do understand the HIPPA issue with tossing out used containers.  All of our old blood tubes also have labels. I am sure, like us, you do not try to remove the labels from all of those!  We dump ours into a biohazard container that is picked up by a bonded company that incinerates them - destroying HIPPA protected information.  This is what happens to any labeled contianer - including urine cups and jugs, Kova tubes, etc.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An interesting thought when you really consider it.  Land fills are being over run with plastics that could, reasonably, be recycled.  I'm sure the processing of the plastic would minimize infectious concerns for the end products.  As far as HIPPA goes, I think it's a little over the top to worry about lables on urine containers but then the govt. needs to worry about something.  Not sure what to make of this idea but it probably is worth considering.  :faint: