eluates on ECHO

You should develop your own validation plan:  1. what you are going to validate. 2. Details of what you are going to do to perform you validation. 3.  The results you expect. 4.  The results you obtain.  5.  Evaluation:  if you get the results you expect you are ready to go.  If not, you decide whether to alter your procedure and try again or decide that you cannot validate your idea.  I would say you are going to compare elution studies between your instrument and your current methodology (tubes?).  Whether you make up samples or use pt samples is up to you; how many you run is up to you.

i've been running them in duplicate for years and have just been lazy about writing a validation plan.....the most interesting one i ran was an ECHO only anti-Jka with a neg DAT.....the ELU-KIT eluate was negative in tubes, but 3+ positive on ECHO in all three screening cells!!!

i've been running them in duplicate for years and have just been lazy about writing a validation plan.....the most interesting one i ran was an ECHO only anti-Jka with a neg DAT.....the ELU-KIT eluate was negative in tubes, but 3+ positive on ECHO in all three screening cells!!!

Just curious why you were running an elution on a neg DAT?  (not that I have not done the same thing)

Sachs UJH, Roder L, Santoso S, Bein G.  Does a negative direct antiglobulin test exclude warm autoimmune haemolytic anaemia?  A prospective study of 504 cases.  British Journal of Haematology 2006; 132: 651-661.

In this, they not only talk about WAIHA, but also quite a bit about delayed serological transfusion reactions, and, most importantly, delayed haemolytic transfusion reactions that are DAT negative, but which show clinical symptoms.

Just curious why you were running an elution on a neg DAT?  (not that I have not done the same thing)

i just have a feeling that the increased amount of anti-Jka's we see on ECHO might really be developing warm autos (or just extremely weak ones that only ECHO can detect)  and i wanted to test my theory by doing an eluate on one of them :)

Malcolm I have read that article and performed some elutions on cells with a neg DAT.  A lady at work was having transient fevers and a lowering hct,  Her docs and the referral docs were not finding anything.  We did an elution on her neg DAT and found a 2+ panagglutinin in gel.  Very interesting but none of the docs (except) my Medical Director would take notice.  Eventually she was put on steroids for some obscure disease of her epithelial cells.  Her eluate became negative.

Definitely interesting.