New Ortho MTS Workstaion

krhodes

There are two issues with the new MTS workstations.

1. No area to incubate tube (i.e. weak D test), so if you do not have a waterbath or dry bath you must purchase one.

2. only a light to indicate the temperature is within limits. Per CAP, I believe we should be doing daily temps. (See below)

COM .30750
Temperature Checks
Phase Il
Temperatures are checked and recorded each day of use for all temperature-dependent equipment and environments using a calibrated thermometer.
NOTE: Temperature-dependent equipment (e.g. refngerat ors. freezers, incubators) containing reagents and/or patient/client specimens must be monitored daily, as equipment failures could affect
accuracy of patient/client test results. Items such as water baths and heat blocks used for procedures need only be checked on days of patient/client testing.
If specific instruments, equipment, kits, or supplies have specified ambient temperature ranges for proper operation or use. there must be documentation that the specified ambient temperature is
maintained and corrective action taken when tolerance limits are exceeded.
The two acceptable ways of recording temperatures are: 1) recording the numerical temperature, or 2) placing a mark on a graph that corresponds to a numerical temperature (either manually, or
using a graphical recording device). The identity of the individual recording the temperature(s) must be documented (recording the initials of the individual is adequate).
The use of automated (including remote) temperature monitoring systems is acceptable providing that laboratory personnel have ongoing immediate access to the temperature data, so that
appropriate corrective action can be taken if a temperature is out of the acceptable range. The daily functionality of the system must be documented.
For heat blocks or dry baths, thermocouple probes may be used as an alternative method for checking the temperature.

As far as taking the daily temps, I asked my rep about the problem in the design and his answer we would need  to purchase a 'special' thermometer from Fisher:  NC0006583.

Not a good answer in my opinion.

alana

We use the Isensix temperature monitoring system in our blood bank.  When one of our hospitals decided to start doing gel they got the new workstation.  Isensix makes a sensor probe with a cylindrical end that fits into the well of a gel card.  It works pretty slick.  We of course get a temp recorded every 5 minutes but we can also turn on an alarm so it will buzz if they leave the lid open too long.  The heat block on this workstation apparently also lacks a way to change the temperature setting.  Our sensor says it runs about 36C but we can't set the temp higher so leaving the lid open can get it out of range easily. 

We got a notice (I'm guessing it was in April) that Ortho was NOT going to support our incubators and centrifuges soon. I'm not sure what our contract says but I'm certain our contract is up soon and that's why we got the notification.  

• 2 months later...

Has anyone noticed that the RPM on the new workstation is 1032 rpm +/- 10rpm?  The MTS centrifuge that I currently have is set at 895rpm +/- 25.  When I checked the IFU - the statement was centrifuge at the setting provided by the manufacturer.  As usual, I am confused!!!!!

Edited by KKidd

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In reviewing the Operator's Manual provided with the Workstation, we identified another problem that I don't see mentioned in this post.  Page 13 states "Note: The incubator must not be used if the timer or temperature is out of specification."  See also page 18 "NOTE: The incubator must not be used if the timer is out of specification".  

At AABB last month, I asked an Ortho rep why the incubator must be taken out of service when the timer (that does not control the temperature) is not in calibration.  The Ortho rep had no idea that the operator's manuals said this, claimed that it must be an error and recommended not following the operators manual. 

I also asked how to validate that the green light actually turns off when the incubator gets too hot.  They had no suggestions.  We discussed taking daily temperatures without wasting a large number of gel cards.  They had many suggestions that did not follow the very specific instruction's in their operator's manual on how to achive this goal. 

In reviewing the Operator's Manual provided with the Workstation, we identified another problem that I don't see mentioned in this post.  Page 13 states "Note: The incubator must not be used if the timer or temperature is out of specification."  See also page 18 "NOTE: The incubator must not be used if the timer is out of specification".  

When ours get serviced the timing is checked by the engineer with a calibrated stopwatch. We do it also as part of opur weekly checks with a standard stopwatch. We also do our standard centrifuges to confirm they are spinning for the length of time the display says. With Ortho particularly, incorrect centrifugation time can give interference.

• 5 months later...