Blood Smear Exam Training Protocol/Checklist

ckcheng

• 6 months later...

I'd be interested in knowing what others are doing as well.  Currently we are doing a tech vs. tech correlation every 6 months and using the instrument diff as the standard to check against but we do not have anything in place for training for the rare diff that is way off.  I would also like to know what criteria folks are grading this sort of thing against.  I.e.  neutrophil count +/- 10% works but the 10% thing doesn't work for the lower count WBC's such as Basophils or even eosinophils. Thanks

We have a computer program called QSP by Horiba, for daily QA that the person on the films bench does daily. It's basically a drag and drop of cells into categories and it autogenerates a report of what was correct/incorrect and what the incorrect cells should have been classified as. It's great for picking up gaps in knowledge.

Linky -  http://www.horiba.com/uk/medical/news-events/news/article/horiba-introduces-new-quality-slide-programme-qsp-service-24511/

Auntie-D I looked at the link above.  Interesting... I've sent an e-mail for more info but in the mean time does this software grade the techs diffs or does a file have to be sent in?

Thanks

It's a package that you download onto the computer (the lisence is only for one terminal though) and you click a button and it does a report for you. I'm going to see if I can attach a file of one that I did.