PT for automation in blood bank

• 2 weeks later...

We used the CAP Automated survey for several years and then had to switch to API (costs).  It hemolyses very quickly and tended to give questionable results (questions marks) to the point we finally asked to go back to CAP for this survey.  We still use API for the manual survey and YES!!!!! they still send everything at once and expect it back within markedly less time that the CAP survey requires.  With our current depressed staffing, it is very difficult to get that thing rotated through, finished and back out the door.  As you can probably tell - i am NOT an API fan.  You also don't get the nice workups that CAP gives for Blood Bank results - especially the work they are trying to do to standardize the Fetal Stain results and the subsequent amount of RHIG to be given. 

• 1 month later...

HI, I just went looking for a thread like this. Yippee, here it is!

We are moving to the Echo in September and aside from potential issues with API (which my hospital is required to use), two questions:  1) if we go live in September, are we required to do the next available PT which for API will be in December or can we wait till 2015?

2) Are we required to do PT on what will be our back-up tube method also once we have Echo in place or can we only order the automated PT and just continue with internal competencies for tube testing? Thanks!

No- I am in New York and we use the proficiency samples sent to us by the DOH.  A few years ago they started sending proficiency samples that were able to be run on our ProVue. We used API in the past but experienced similar issues as mentioned above (hemolysis).

HI, I just went looking for a thread like this. Yippee, here it is!

We are moving to the Echo in September and aside from potential issues with API (which my hospital is required to use), two questions:  1) if we go live in September, are we required to do the next available PT which for API will be in December or can we wait till 2015?

2) Are we required to do PT on what will be our back-up tube method also once we have Echo in place or can we only order the automated PT and just continue with internal competencies for tube testing? Thanks!

Yes, you need to do a survey for your backup method. If you are CAP inspected, you will need to do a method comparison between your Echo and the backup method as well - we do comparisons twice a year.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in more input from those that use Echo for automation:

We currently use API for our proficiency testing and have had questionable or inconclusive results several times over the past several years. We are considering going back to CAP. It just isn't worth the cost savings if you have to waste Tech time and/or risk failure due to sample issues beyond your control.

Are there many others using API that are seeing results such as this and/or have switched back to CAP because of it?

Thanks!

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't ordered the automated BB survey from API but will by the end of the year for the Echo. In the meantime, I also am NOT an API fan. We got a fetal blood survey in late but they didn't extend the return time for the survey and it was a stupid hassle to get the techs to find time to fit it in under the deadline. So far, I am hearing that our Chem lab is going back to CAP, per order of our Medical Director, for troponins at least due to failures with 2 API surveys- not sure why but I do know the lab is not at fault for the failures. And the bunching up of multiple surveys at once- yikes! I also miss the follow-up feedback from CAP which we don't get from API. But money talks