Occurrence/Incident Management System

goodchild

I know there's been discussions about this before but I wanted to see some fresh perspectives.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a decent quality management system that they use?

We're looking for customizable forms/reports and preferrably web-based. Something with work/task lists for follow up and handling scheduled deadlines and QA/QC events would be great.

Thanks!!

We had a statewide system named MERS. Trouble was, after 2 years GE stopped supporting it and everyone was back to square one. We are now using RL-6 to manage hospital situations. It works well enough, you can schedule stuff but it is not user-friendly.

I made an Access database for our lab QA which works very well to document incidents, look for trends and crunch numbers, but it doesn't handle followup and deadlines.

Phil

So glad to see your post, Phil.  We just changed to RL Solutions because it is "easier to use" according to our Risk Management office.  Well, it may be easier for them to use, but I still cannot figure out how to respond to incidents, and the only instructions they gave us were how to file one.  I am glad to know that I am not the only one having issues with this system.

Edited by BankerGirl

Sigh, misery loves company. Responding and wrapping things up is precisely the problem. We were given a flow sheet that resembles contingency plans for emergency repairs on the space shuttle, with functions and screens that no one can find. I complete as many fields for the incident as I can, try to save everything and scream "Go away, damn you!" when I log out. Once in a while it even works.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at Harrington Quality Management System...HQMS. It is web-based and you get access to all of the modules.  We just implemented the Document Control module. They do have CAPA, Training, Task Management, Dashboard, etc. I'm not real familar with reporting processes and customizing them. The system is not blood bank specific but is implemented in many industries and seems to be pretty customizeable. Worth a look at anyway.

• 2 months later...

I share your frustrations about RL Solutions which we use at my hospital. Useless for many things including review of corrective action measures etc. I also have a spreadsheet, I code all events by type so I can sort them as needed, I write down my CA, what kind of follow-up is needed and when, and all CBER info if needed for particular events. Works for me. And I have an event report with a number that matches the spreadsheet so I can go back to the raw data if needed. However, we have a very small institution and I can't imagine how effective this would be if you were managing multiple blood bank labs within one big system

I should have noted that this was a laboratory-level quality management system, not for hospital-wide incidents.

We decided that OTIS would be best suited for our needs but who knows if the $$$ will ever be approved.

I took it upon myself to learn Microsoft Access (never volunteer!) and make a QA database for internal use in the entire lab to replace an antiquated, useless predecessor program. Every QA incident is entered (by me, see above!). Our forms, which document the incident and serve as entry forms for the database, have the following fields: Date, MR#, Tests, Dept at Fault, Employee at Fault, Reviewing Dept, Operational Phase, Problem, 2nd Problem, Deficit, Action, Second Action, Severity Level. There are a variety of choices for each field, and the form has check boxes making it quick and easy to fill out. Access lets you crunch the data in many ways. We use this to gather data for many of our monitors as well as spot checks for certain requests ("How many unlabeled specs came from location X last year?")  It's been up and running over 10 years and we now have 24,000+ incidents. We find it a most useful tool and it's free if you have Microsoft Office on a PC.