Octaplas thawed storage

bmarotto

So all of us in the U.S. received "the letter" from our blood centers about the expected shortage of AB plasma due to the new AABB standard to mitigate TRALI.  We have a fairly active apheresis service and expect Murphy's law to go into play and give us one or more Group AB TTP patients.  We also have a liver transplant program.  Either of these can push into looking for an alternative to AB plasma.  In reviewing the Octaplas information, I noticed the post thaw storage to be 12 hours at 2-40 C or 3 hours at 20-250 C.  I am trying to set this product up in my computer system and trying to determine what dating to use.  The 2-40 C seems pretty narrow.  What happens if the product is issued at 40 C with 12 hour dating and is returned unused at 70 C an hour later?  Does anyone have any information on how the storage requirements were determined?  Are these the storage temperatures used in Europe?

I am really interested in this as well.  Also,  how long is the product good for frozen?  I dont see us going through a lot of it and since they only ship it in packages of 10 at $95/unit it's already more expensive than FFP.  I am also curious about Octoplas and risk of TRALI.  Do they follow the same collection criteria as the Red Cross?