Pathology Quality Review

RR1

Excellent report  from the NHS England site from Dr Ian Barnes, released this week.

At last...... !!!

Sorry- guess the file is too large to attach- google NHS England

Report dated 28/01/14 :

Independent review proposes an upgrade of pathology safety checks to improve patient outcomes

Edited by RR1

I particularly like the following from the report:

“A systematic approach should be taken to educating, training and developing the skills of the pathology workforce in quality management
systems and quality improvement methodology, in ways appropriate to professional group, role and grade. This process should be led by HEE.

We too often separate quality functions from everyday lab work- when in reality they are the same.I find I have learnt/ understood more about how to do my job with running the lab in the last 6 years, then the previous 13 as a BBM- and this has been due to our regulations and the way the inspectors have developed us ( a tough way, I admit- but that is what it has been), and it is all about considering patient safety and care at all times.

Hopefully standardisation of all Path labs with the new UKAS inspections against ISO 15189 will further help.
Edited by RR1