SBB Programs

ssturgill

I am looking into applying to an online SBB program. Anyone have some experience with these? What program did you do and what did you like best about it? Least about it? I am just trying to gather information as I begin the process so that I can make the best choice. Any information would be helpful. you can respond here or message me. Thanks in advance.

I think most accredited SBB programs are probably great, it depends on you. Do you work better with an online setting and can motivate yourself to study or seek out the information you need?  Or do you need to attend the class and get the interaction with the other students/teacher?

I attended the online SBB program offered by Blood Systems Laboratories. I completed the program this past August. I took the SBB certification exam in December and passed it the first time. The program is very challenging but well worth it. It prepares students very well for the exam.

Elisa Camacho, MT(ASCP)SBB

• 3 weeks later...

nick7791 - I'm also attending the last chance review! My former blood bank supervisor did the same online program as me and also attended the review. He said it was really good and it really helped him focus on what was important and not. He took his exam in May (2006) and passed the first time.

I just got a mailer from Rush University and am planning on checking that program out.

I've heard good things about an SBB program through Florida Blood Services, but I am not sure if that program is in existence anymore. I've also heard good things about the one in Indiana.

nick7791 - I'm actually from Colorado, but my program is online (UTMB) and I wanted something in person and Southwest was having a fare sale.

tbostock - I'm not sure what the deadline for Indiana Blood Center's online program is, but it starts in November of each year and they use the same modules/program that UTMB does. 

nick7791 - I'm actually from Colorado, but my program is online (UTMB) and I wanted something in person and Southwest was having a fare sale.

tbostock - I'm not sure what the deadline for Indiana Blood Center's online program is, but it starts in November of each year and they use the same modules/program that UTMB does. 

I'm trying to find an SBB program that leads to a Master's Degree.  So I'm trying that first with Rush and UTMB. 

I attended RUSH program, did not attend any review but studied form AABB annual meeting review package (2004), studied standard, technical manual (not separately but during program), and work experience helped me pass my SBB first time.

Online program are good but require dedication and lots of work, read and follow the assignments and study your quizzes...you will be fine.

I took mine through IBC and it is based on the UTMB program. I believe there is one through Dayton Blood Center as well. These programs are related as their instructors are connected. I found my instructor through the IBC program to be very knowledgeable and helpful. All are accredited programs. I found the programs through the AABB site.

• 1 year later...