HLA antibodies

Has anyone used Immucor's "HPC" (Human Platelet Concentrate) product?

I am considering using it, but would really like to use it on specimens on our Echo analyzer that have reactions in solid phase but are negative in gel or tube.  I think some of these are HLA related, just based on how they react and the patient characteristics.

However, the product insert says to use it on serum (because it can cause some clot formation in plasma specimens) and we almost never have serum readily available on these patients.

And, it indicates using it in tube... but if the tube testing is negative, there is no point.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Linda

You could use it on your automated device but you would have to validate that it works.  If you offered the test then you would have serum because you would indicate that serum is the only specimen which can be used.  Personally, I think that the reactions you see are mostly HTLA's (at least that's what I think I am seeing in gel - most (~80%) are ficin  sensitive).  They usually react 2+ or weaker, so I never can see them in tubes.