Preferred CLS/BB Conferences?

noelrbrown

Hi Everybody! This is my first post!  :D

I am a Marketing Associate for Hemo bioscience (manufacturer and distributor of BB Reagents) and was hoping to gain insight into which educational conferences/conventions are considered the most valuable or which ones you enjoy attending the most or which ones you hear of the most...? We really appreciate the educational sector of this industry and I would personally like to commit to a presence at these shows. Any feedback appreciated! 

Thanks

Adele

AABB is probably the most important in the US - it is held in a different region every year.  Each state or small region usually has an annual blood bank or laboratory conference every year.  I tend to go to the Portland, Me for the annual CLMA conference - usually lasts 4 days, all kinds of lab topics and vendors.  It is regional for Northern New England but pulls from outside this region also.

In England, there is the annual BBTS Conference, the two-yearly IBMS Conference and the annual University of Westminster Transfusion Update Symposium. There is also a quarterly meeting of the London and South-east Transfusion Science Technical Advisory Group.

In Scotland, there is the annual Scotblood Conference.

Of course, there are the European ISBT Meetings.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everybody! This is my first post!  :D

I am a Marketing Associate for Hemo bioscience (manufacturer and distributor of BB Reagents) and was hoping to gain insight into which educational conferences/conventions are considered the most valuable or which ones you enjoy attending the most or which ones you hear of the most...? We really appreciate the educational sector of this industry and I would personally like to commit to a presence at these shows. Any feedback appreciated! 

Thanks

Adele

AIMS sponsored by SCABB in the spring.  Great meeting!

In Michigan, we have our state American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science meeting every April.  This year it is from April 23-25 in Kalamazoo.  Like many state and regional meetings for Lab Science, it includes numerous educational sessions, a few dinners, and a vendor exhibition area.

Note also that many larger blood suppliers have regular meetings for the customers they serve that discuss current matters regarding blood banking.

Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know if they still do it but the University of Michigan held a Blood Bank Symposium every year either the last week of May or the first week of June.  I managed to attend every other year for a number of years and found it very enjoyable and informative.  I hope they still do it because it was very worth while and reasonalby priced.

• 3 years later...

I suspect there will be some regional bias after mentioning AABB :)

That said, I'm in the Midwest and have been impressed by the Wisconsin Association of Blood Banks annual meeting (disclosure: I used to chair their Education Committee and since leaving WI have been back as a presenter twice in the past 6 years). There's is a 2 day conference with a fairly large vendor area/participation.  www.wabb.org

The Intermountain States Seminar is the regional ASCLS meeting for Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.  This meeting is held in the fall -- usually the end of Sept/ first of October at the Snow King Hockey arena in Jackson, Wyoming.  Each state in this region also has an annual spring meeting.