Automation in the Transfusion Lab - what do you use and do you recommend it?

SNicholas

I am researching a buying guide for laboratory managers looking to update the analyzers in their transfusion laboratories. I am interested to know what you are using for crossmatching and 'group and types/screens'. Feedback I have had so far is that there are a lot of Immucor Echo/Neo's and Ortho ProVues in use. Is anyone using anything else and what do you wish you had known before you purchased it?

My offices are based in the UK but we are a global publication (SelectScience) so it is interesting to find out what the geographical variation is. I used to work in a hospital in the UK and we had an Immucor Echo for crossmatching and a Neo for routine grouping. I always liked them. Prior to that we were manually crossmatching in tubes, life was so much easier after we moved to electronic crossmatching!

We use the BioRad Tango.

I was told I cannot go automated :( but I have been looking anyway.  I like the tango, but the rep was supposed to send me some reagents and hasn't been able to get them to send them out when she requests, a

nd she said they keep changing the web site around making it diffiult to find info.  do you find getting reagents and using the web site to be a problem?

I was told I cannot go automated :( but I have been looking anyway.  I like the tango, but the rep was supposed to send me some reagents and hasn't been able to get them to send them out when she requests, a

nd she said they keep changing the web site around making it diffiult to find info.  do you find getting reagents and using the web site to be a problem?

Just sporadic problem with reagent delivery (this week due to bad storms across the country slowing down shipment). Otherwise not a problem. Never had a problem with their website. They are a great company to work with.

We've had an Immucor Galileo since 2006 - like it very much.  We will be upgrading as the Galileo is sunsetting Dec 2014.  I do like the Neo - several upgrades on the Galileo that should make life even easier.

We did have an Echo for a short period of time.  it did validate, but it missed some  known antibodies, E, K FYa after about 4 months.  It was removed.

A Bio Rad Tango just came in yesterday to replace the Echo.  No experience as yet.  Though some local hospitals here love it.

We do have 2 sites.

If you cannot implement automation, try for electronic crossmatch at least.  Automation is like having another tech, and electronic XM reduces stress while better controlling your inventory.

Thank you all for your responses, you have been most helpful. Does anyone have an opinion on gel versus microplate agglutination?

Both gel and solid phase are great methods, both have their pros and cons. We use both here. Solid phase (Tango) is our primary method, gel is our secondary method.

Solid phase: We don't see cold agglutinins or rouleaux interference. Picks up some antibodies more easily (K, Fya) and is less sensitive for others (E). Doesn't pick up as many passively acquired Anti-D (from RhoGam) as gel does, which is nice.

Gel: Detects some colds and is really sensitive to rouleaux (although you can easily tell that it is rouleaux). Sometimes false positives with some lots of screening cells. Quicker turn-around-time than solid phase.

We have the Immucor ECHO and love it.  Phone service and field service are both great.  It picks up many more Jk's than gel or tube.  It does seem to pick up more 'warm autos' than gel.  We have our manual gel stations as back up and for alternate testing.

Unlike the Provue (at least when I saw the Provue) you can add specimens without waiting for the analyzer to allow it.

Linda